Neasden woman killed in nightclub stampede died of crush injuries

Coroner urges anyone who witnessed the tragedy to contact the police

A Neasden woman who died after being caught up in a ‘stampede’ in a nightclub died of crush injuries, an inquest has heard.

Nabila Nanfuka, 22, of Yeats Close, a leisure and tourism student at Northampton University, ied from traumatic crush asphyxia after the incident at the Lava & Ignite club on October 19.

The inquest at Kettering Magistrates’ Court she had been one of many party-goers at the Wickedest Wickedest event, many of whom had travelled to the venue from out of town.

Eyewitnesses described revellers rushing for the exits following an announcement that coaches were leaving to take them home.

Two other women, aged 19 and 21, were hurt in the incident.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said the 21-year-old has been released from Northampton General Hospital while the 19-year-old, who has not been identified, remains in a critical condition.

Most Read

Northampton Borough Council has temporarily suspended the nightclub’s licence while an investigation is carried out after police told its licensing committee that they believe staff had lost control of the premises.

Luminar, which runs Lava & Ignite, Liquid and Oceana clubs throughout the UK, today announced it will appoint administrators.

In a move that will put up to 3,000 jobs at risk, the nightclub owner said it had no option but to call in administrators.

Its lenders - Lloyds, Barclays and Royal Bank of Scotland - told the group they would not extend a recent period of leniency due to end tomorrow, which will leave Luminar in breach of covenants.

Shares in the group, which employs 3,000 full and part-time staff and operates 75 venues, have been suspended.

The group declined to say when administrators would be appointed.

Opening and adjourning the inquest to a date to be fixed later, the coroner Anne Pember urged anyone who had witnessed the incident to contact police and to forward any photographs or video footage taken on mobile phones to officers.