Free festive carol evening in Neasden where the Christmas lights will be switched back on
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours in Neasden are invited to a free festive gathering as lights will be switched on in the high street once again.
Neasden Festive Lights Carol Evening is taking place in Neasden Lane on December 7 from 4pm.
Costa is facilitating a free hot drink outside its store where the carol singers will all be gathered so people are invited to grab a song sheet and join in.
Brent Council axed the funding for Christmas lights across the borough in 2013.
Community activist Martin Redston, who runs Martin Redston Associates, said: "I paid for it. I went to so many community meetings as I've been doing community work for years, and everybody was singing from that same old hymn sheet 'there's no money'."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "I was told it cost £2,400 and said I would be happy to pay if they could give me a bit of advertising."
He's since discovered the cost is for a three year contract. "Hopefully we can raise more money so we can enhance them," he added.
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Habitual Harlesden car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 5 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 6 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 7 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 8 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 9 Man, 40, stabbed to death in Willesden
- 10 Wembley teenager charged with murdering Ahmed Baker