Morrisons plan to open supermarket on former ‘Oriental City’ site
Store giant will be included in multi-million pound project in Edgware Road, Colindale
A supermarket giant has signed up to be included in a development which will be built on the former Oriental City site in Colindale.
Morrisons plan to open an 80,000 sq ft branch on the site in Edgware Road, providing Brent Council grants planning permission.
Proposals for the site, which had been dubbed London’s ‘real China Town’ before its closure in 2008, will see it transformed into a new Oriental and Far Eastern shopping centre which will include a food court, restaurant and specialist Oriental grocers.
The site will also include up to 250 homes, including affordable housing.
You may also want to watch:
After Development Securities PLC (DS) bought the site work on the multi-million pound development was stalled by the recession.
The revised plans will see a smaller development but according to Matthew Weiner, DS executive director, it will result in the creation of up to 400 jobs.
- 1 Indian Covid variant found in Brent
- 2 Man arrested and knife found after police chase through Willesden Green
- 3 A full-time dedicated Euros Policing Team will police Wembley Stadium
- 4 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 5 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 6 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 7 'Residents have faced a living nightmare as a result of the cladding scandal'
- 8 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 10 Police 'determined' to find Wembley man who failed to appear at court
He added: “It will provide more shopping choice locally, help meet local housing needs and reintroduce an Oriental and Far Eastern retailing destination to the site.
“What we are proposing now will give the site a new lease of life and, although smaller, is deliverable with the inclusion of the Morrisons.”