Morrisons plan to open supermarket on former ‘Oriental City’ site
Store giant will be included in multi-million pound project in Edgware Road, Colindale
A supermarket giant has signed up to be included in a development which will be built on the former Oriental City site in Colindale.
Morrisons plan to open an 80,000 sq ft branch on the site in Edgware Road, providing Brent Council grants planning permission.
Proposals for the site, which had been dubbed London’s ‘real China Town’ before its closure in 2008, will see it transformed into a new Oriental and Far Eastern shopping centre which will include a food court, restaurant and specialist Oriental grocers.
The site will also include up to 250 homes, including affordable housing.
After Development Securities PLC (DS) bought the site work on the multi-million pound development was stalled by the recession.
The revised plans will see a smaller development but according to Matthew Weiner, DS executive director, it will result in the creation of up to 400 jobs.
- 1 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 2 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 3 A Level results 2022: Brent schools as they come in
- 4 ‘A Windrush Lioness’: Tributes paid to Harlesden resident Lera Clarke
- 5 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 6 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 7 'Dangerous' uni student jailed for 38 years for 'random' knife attacks
- 8 Brent Liberal Democrats call for faster monkeypox vaccine roll-out
- 9 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
He added: “It will provide more shopping choice locally, help meet local housing needs and reintroduce an Oriental and Far Eastern retailing destination to the site.
“What we are proposing now will give the site a new lease of life and, although smaller, is deliverable with the inclusion of the Morrisons.”