Morrisons plan to open supermarket on former ‘Oriental City’ site
Store giant will be included in multi-million pound project in Edgware Road, Colindale
A supermarket giant has signed up to be included in a development which will be built on the former Oriental City site in Colindale.
Morrisons plan to open an 80,000 sq ft branch on the site in Edgware Road, providing Brent Council grants planning permission.
Proposals for the site, which had been dubbed London’s ‘real China Town’ before its closure in 2008, will see it transformed into a new Oriental and Far Eastern shopping centre which will include a food court, restaurant and specialist Oriental grocers.
The site will also include up to 250 homes, including affordable housing.
You may also want to watch:
After Development Securities PLC (DS) bought the site work on the multi-million pound development was stalled by the recession.
The revised plans will see a smaller development but according to Matthew Weiner, DS executive director, it will result in the creation of up to 400 jobs.
- 1 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 2 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 3 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 4 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 5 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 6 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 9 Wembley Park's Summer on Screen festival kicks off with Gurinder Chadha Q&A
- 10 Kilburn grandmother hears 'terrific bang' as bathroom ceiling collapses
He added: “It will provide more shopping choice locally, help meet local housing needs and reintroduce an Oriental and Far Eastern retailing destination to the site.
“What we are proposing now will give the site a new lease of life and, although smaller, is deliverable with the inclusion of the Morrisons.”