More than 1,000 households in Brent receive more than �31,000 in benefits each year
Benefit cap next year will affect a total of 3,600 households in the borough
More than 1,000 households in Brent are receiving benefits totalling more than �31,000 a year, new figures show.
The statistics released by the Department of Work and Pensions, revealed a total of 1,100 households were pocketing the sum which is equivalent to a gross income of �42,000 a year in the higher rate tax band.
In addition, 2,500 households in the borough are receiving benefits of �26,000 a year - the equivalent of an income before tax of �35,000.
The government will be introducing a benefit cap next year which is part of the Welfare Reform Bill.
You may also want to watch:
The cap will result in the amount of benefits received by households limited to a maximum of �26,000 next year.
However, the cap will not apply to households who are in receipt of a selected number of benefits.
- 1 Boy, 12, in life-threatening condition after Wembley crash
- 2 Series of sexual assaults reported in Dollis Hill
- 3 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 4 Hospitality Day: Your favourite Brent cafe revealed
- 5 Mark Warburton insists QPR on right track despite Bristol City defeat
- 6 Footage released of Neasden shooting to help catch 'dangerous offender'
- 7 Hospitality Day: Your favourite restaurant... REVEALED
- 8 Man stabbed stranger to death in cemetery as public tried to intervene
- 9 Call for teams for football tournament in memory of Josh Hanson
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
Lord Freud, Minister for Welfare Reform, said: “The benefit cap will return fairness to the welfare state and ensure people know there is a clear limit on what they can claim.
“People who do the right thing and move into work will not be affected, and we have ensured disabled people will continue to receive the right support.”
Will the benefit cap have a detrimental effect on your family?
If so contact the news team on 020 7433 6228 or email email@example.com.