Mayhew Animal Home rescues seven rabbits tossed out of car boot ‘like rubbish’
- Credit: Archant
Seven pet rabbits, including five babies, were thrown out of a car boot and dumped “like rubbish” on Hampstead Heath last week.
Two dog walkers watched on in horror as the pets were callously tossed out of a car one-by-one and abandoned by a woman who drove up to the Heath in her car last Tuesday.
The walkers immediately called Kensal Green rehoming charity, The Mayhew Animal Home, and welfare officers arrived soon afterwards to rescue the bunnies from the green space.
All seven rabbits – a mum, dad, and their five 12-week-old babies – were in shock but in otherwise good health.
Zoe Edwards, animal welfare manager at The Mayhew, said: “To dump rabbits like rubbish is a terrible act.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re so glad that the rabbits were spotted in time and weren’t left to fend for themselves on Hampstead Heath for too long.
“Being what appears to be domesticated rabbits, it’s worrying to think what could have happened to them if they’d been abandoned there for much longer.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 5 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 8 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 9 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 10 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
The bunnies are believed to be pet rabbits, as officers said they have a “sweet and easy-to-handle nature”, despite none of them being neutered.
They are now at home in large cages with plenty of food, water and space to hop about.
A member of staff, who clearly is a fan of the TV show The X Files, has named the rabbit father Mulder, while his four sons are named Dana, X-Files, Scully, and Fox.
Meanwhile, the rabbit mother has been dubbed Fifi Trixibelle – after Bob Geldof’s daughter – with the female baby christened Toni Collette, after the Oscar-winning actress of the same name.
The rabbits will be cared for by The Mayhew, in Trenmar Gardens, until they have been neutered and vaccinated.
They will then be taken to a rabbit shelter, where they will be rehomed.
Ms Edwards added: “This is another case of pets not being neutered. The rabbits had the five babies and their owner probably couldn’t cope.
“We offer low cost neutering for rabbits, as well as cats and dogs, so there is no excuse not to get pets neutered.”
Find out more about The Mayhew.