Magazine produced by Brent youths scoops national award
‘Our Say’ wins ‘Best Use of Communication ‘category at 2012 National Federation of ALMOs Awards
A group of young tenants who produce a magazine for youths in the borough have scooped a national award.
Brent Housing Partnership’s ‘Youth Editorial Board’ won the category of Best Use of Communication at the 2012 National Federation of ALMOs (NFA) Awards last week.
The awards are designed to honour those who have dedicated their time, resources and enthusiasm to improving the lives of their neighbours and communities.
The board’s quarterly magazine ‘Our Say’ is produced entirely by young tenants and has dealt with relevant issues including graffiti, drugs, gun and knife crime, animal welfare issues, the London riots, further education and government cuts.
You may also want to watch:
Established by BHP, who manages Brent Council’s housing stock in addition to their own, the board’s publication enables youths them to their say about issues affecting them in Brent.
Everyone working on the magazine is aged between 13 and 19.
- 1 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 2 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 3 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
- 4 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 5 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 8 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 9 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 10 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
Peter Nugent, 19, editor of ‘Our Say’, said: “We put a lot of effort in to our articles and in to developing a community led magazine for young people. It is a proud moment when all that effort is recognised nationwide.”
Gerry Doherty, chief executive of BHP, said: “I would like to extend my congratulations to the members of the Youth Editorial Board who donate their valuable time to give back to their community.
“They are doing an excellent job and winning this award from the NFA is brilliant recognition for their hard work.”