Magazine produced by Brent youths scoops national award
‘Our Say’ wins ‘Best Use of Communication ‘category at 2012 National Federation of ALMOs Awards
A group of young tenants who produce a magazine for youths in the borough have scooped a national award.
Brent Housing Partnership’s ‘Youth Editorial Board’ won the category of Best Use of Communication at the 2012 National Federation of ALMOs (NFA) Awards last week.
The awards are designed to honour those who have dedicated their time, resources and enthusiasm to improving the lives of their neighbours and communities.
The board’s quarterly magazine ‘Our Say’ is produced entirely by young tenants and has dealt with relevant issues including graffiti, drugs, gun and knife crime, animal welfare issues, the London riots, further education and government cuts.
Established by BHP, who manages Brent Council’s housing stock in addition to their own, the board’s publication enables youths them to their say about issues affecting them in Brent.
Everyone working on the magazine is aged between 13 and 19.
- 1 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Appeal: Boy, 13, missing from Brent since Monday
- 4 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 5 Man arrested after woman's rape allegation in Neasden
- 6 Neasden pub refused late licence amid fears around crime
- 7 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 8 Alperton family with autistic son plead to be rehoused
- 9 Retired police boss: Sacking Met officers 'takes too long'
- 10 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
Peter Nugent, 19, editor of ‘Our Say’, said: “We put a lot of effort in to our articles and in to developing a community led magazine for young people. It is a proud moment when all that effort is recognised nationwide.”
Gerry Doherty, chief executive of BHP, said: “I would like to extend my congratulations to the members of the Youth Editorial Board who donate their valuable time to give back to their community.
“They are doing an excellent job and winning this award from the NFA is brilliant recognition for their hard work.”