Magazine produced by Brent youths scoops national award
‘Our Say’ wins ‘Best Use of Communication ‘category at 2012 National Federation of ALMOs Awards
A group of young tenants who produce a magazine for youths in the borough have scooped a national award.
Brent Housing Partnership’s ‘Youth Editorial Board’ won the category of Best Use of Communication at the 2012 National Federation of ALMOs (NFA) Awards last week.
The awards are designed to honour those who have dedicated their time, resources and enthusiasm to improving the lives of their neighbours and communities.
The board’s quarterly magazine ‘Our Say’ is produced entirely by young tenants and has dealt with relevant issues including graffiti, drugs, gun and knife crime, animal welfare issues, the London riots, further education and government cuts.
You may also want to watch:
Established by BHP, who manages Brent Council’s housing stock in addition to their own, the board’s publication enables youths them to their say about issues affecting them in Brent.
Everyone working on the magazine is aged between 13 and 19.
- 1 Brent Council ordered to apologise and pay wheelchair user £27,000
- 2 'It's heartbreaking': Volunteer slams Mayhew Animal Charity plans
- 3 Review: Masalchi street food restaurant in Wembley Park
- 4 QPR boss Warburton 'stunned' by Carabao Cup exit
- 5 Brent's parks and gardens are big winners of London in Bloom awards
- 6 Brent's community lead offers condolences to murdered sisters' families
- 7 'Unacceptable' failings in Met's handling of missing sisters
- 8 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 9 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Peter Nugent, 19, editor of ‘Our Say’, said: “We put a lot of effort in to our articles and in to developing a community led magazine for young people. It is a proud moment when all that effort is recognised nationwide.”
Gerry Doherty, chief executive of BHP, said: “I would like to extend my congratulations to the members of the Youth Editorial Board who donate their valuable time to give back to their community.
“They are doing an excellent job and winning this award from the NFA is brilliant recognition for their hard work.”