Lying in wait: Scunthorpe United
Prospects: A difficult season ended with relative success for Scunthorpe when a 2-2 draw at home to Reading ensured survival and another year in the Championship with two games to spare. But despite an impressive opening-day win at Reading, followed by
Prospects: A difficult season ended with relative success for Scunthorpe when a 2-2 draw at home to Reading ensured survival and another year in the Championship with two games to spare.
But despite an impressive opening-day win at Reading, followed by a win by the same 2-1 scoreline over Oldham in the Carling Cup, Scunthorpe were brought crashing back down to earth with a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Norwich.
The Iron's finish of 20th last season, coupled with their lowly budget which resulted in their talisman Gary Hooper departing for Celtic, and the fact that their style of football will not be so unknown to their Championship
opponents this season, all point
You may also want to watch:
towards another relegation dogfight.
New faces: With their prolific frontman Hooper departing for Celtic in a club record deal of �2.4million and
- 1 Police appeal to find missing 12-year-old boy
- 2 Two men charged with murder in connection with missing pensioner with links to Willesden
- 3 'Brave new streets of London' – photo collection captures a city under Covid
- 4 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 5 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 6 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 7 More images released after 'violence and disorder' at Euro 2020 final at Wembley
- 8 'Residents are going through hell as a result of flooding'
- 9 Wealdstone still chasing new signings but patience is key, says Maynard
- 10 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
fellow striker Paul Hayes moving on to Preston, Nigel Adkins has instead opted to bolster his defensive department.
Young Irish left-back Eddie Nolan has arrived from Preston on an initial six-month loan with a view to a permanent deal.
The Iron have decided to regain the services of Jim McNulty (Brighton) on a longer six-month loan deal this time, with midfielder Matt Sparrow going in the other direction.
Australian right-back Trent
McClenahan (Hamilton) has also joined after being handed a short-term deal until January. But arguably more important than any player is Scunthorpe
being able to hold onto Adkins, and their ability to keep him for the remainder of the season could prove crucial to their survival chances.
Past times: Rangers' record of eight wins out of the last 11 games will not prove pretty reading for Scunthorpe fans, although their most recent game last season ended in a 1-0 victory for Scunthorpe at Loftus Road.
Verdict: On current form and with the Loftus Road faithful behind the Rs, the likely outcome is that the hosts will maintain their 100 per cent start in the league - 4-1 perhaps?