Lorry fire causes the North Circular Road in Neasden to close
- Credit: Archant
An articulated lorry carrying circus equipment dramatically caught fire on the North Circular Road in Neasden is causing huge traffic delays.
Firefighters were called just before 2am this morning taking two hours to get the fire ball under control.
The A406 remains closed between Harrow Road and Brentfield Road as Transport for London resurface it.
Thirty people had to be evacuated from nearby homes with fears cylinders could explode but nobody was injured.
The articulated lorry which was carrying approximately 20 tons of circus equipment caught fire while parked on the roadside.
Only the shell remained of the trailer and cab which were completely damaged by the blaze.
A caravan from the circus fleet and two cars parked down the street were also damaged.
- 1 Wembley teen killed in collision named as police seek to trace Ford van
- 2 Brent headteacher fears pupils could bring in knives without uniform policy
- 3 Everything But the Girl singer launches bid to save Welsh Harp
- 4 New college planned to bring post-school education in Wembley
- 5 Brent tower block plans may fall foul of planning law
- 6 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 7 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 8 Judicial review could 'stop GP surgery privatisation'
- 9 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 10 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers were called from Willesden, Park Royal and North Kensington fire stations to deal with the blaze.
A spokeswoman for the fire brigade added: “Three gas cylinders were also involved in the fire. Around 30 people were evacuated from neighbouring properties as of precaution because some cylinders can explode when exposed to heat. Thankfully nobody was injured.”
A police spokeswoman said officers were still at the scene. She added: “Three nearby residential addresses have been evacuated as a precaution.
“The north bound road is still shut, southbound will reopen soon. Motorists are advised to seek alternative routes.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.