Lord Mayor of Westminster praises community centre in Queen’s Park
- Credit: Archant
A community centre in a deprived area in Queen’s Park which offers advice services for vulnerable residents has been praised by the mayor of Westminster.
Steve Summers was given a tour of the Beethoven Centre in Mozart’s Estate where he was told about A2Dominion’s Advice Plus Service.
The free advice service, which has helped more than 1,400 residents in the last year, provides specialist, tailored advice on housing, benefits, debt, finding work and training, dealing with crime or antisocial behaviour.
A translation service, a qualified solicitor and the Citizen’s Advice Bureau are among the providers at the centre.
Mr Summers said: “Advice Plus is a great asset for the local community, offering vital, free advice to the residents of Westminster.
“What amazes me is the commitment of the volunteers who give up their Monday afternoons to support local residents with their issues. They’re the heartbeat of the service.”
Christine Hung, a local resident, said:
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Dramatic Dieng equaliser sums up 'crazy game' for QPR boss Beale
- 4 Goalkeeper Dieng nets late equaliser to save QPR at Sunderland
- 5 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 London among areas where drought is declared
“I often come to Advice Plus as I need the assistance. This is a fantastic service and I wish everyone who needs help could have this kind of support.”
The centere has been recognised for its importance in serving the local community and won first prize last year in the ‘Active Place’ category at Active Westminster Awards. It continues to receive support and investment from local councillors.
Donna Hodsoll, A2Dominion’s community investment operations Manager, said: “Since April 2016, 1,477 local people have benefited from our Advice Plus Service.
“Advice Plus is a fundamental resource which the local residents heavily rely on.
“A2Dominion is delighted to offer Advice Plus as a continuous service to support the residents.”