Outstanding school in Kilburn could be expanded to tackle shortage of places
Kingsgate Primary School could take on 60 extra pupils a year
An outstanding school in Kilburn could be expanded to deal with a shortage of school places in north-west London.
Camden Council will consider plans to create 420 more primary school places on July 18.
The recommendation would be to expand popular Kingsgate Primary School, in Kingsgate Road, Kilburn, by creating a new building for the school in Liddell Road, West Hampstead.
The aim would be to create 60 new primary school places a year - a maximum of 420 across all years.
You may also want to watch:
Parents, residents and businesses will be consulted on the plans.
Liz Hayward, headteacher of Kingsgate Primary School, said: “I’m delighted about the proposal to expand. Kingsgate is an outstanding and popular school, and every year we have a queue of families on our waiting list, hoping for a reception class place. It would be wonderful to be able offer more children the opportunity to join our school community.”
- 1 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 2 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 3 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 4 Brent Council reignites campaign to tackle paan spitting
- 5 Harlesden community garden wins two London in Bloom awards
- 6 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 7 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 8 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 9 FA Cup defeat ranks among one of the most 'gutting' for Wealdstone
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
Councillor Mike Katz, Labour ward councillor for Kilburn, said: “This is great news for NW6. Figures show how desperate we need a primary school in this area.
“Labour councillors have been campaigning hard to make this happen and it is fantastic that Camden Council is taking action.”
Liddell Road was identified last summer as a possible site for new school places. Of 153 children who were without a school place in Camden on May 1, 104 lived west of Finchley Road.