Outstanding school in Kilburn could be expanded to tackle shortage of places
Kingsgate Primary School could take on 60 extra pupils a year
An outstanding school in Kilburn could be expanded to deal with a shortage of school places in north-west London.
Camden Council will consider plans to create 420 more primary school places on July 18.
The recommendation would be to expand popular Kingsgate Primary School, in Kingsgate Road, Kilburn, by creating a new building for the school in Liddell Road, West Hampstead.
The aim would be to create 60 new primary school places a year - a maximum of 420 across all years.
Parents, residents and businesses will be consulted on the plans.
Liz Hayward, headteacher of Kingsgate Primary School, said: “I’m delighted about the proposal to expand. Kingsgate is an outstanding and popular school, and every year we have a queue of families on our waiting list, hoping for a reception class place. It would be wonderful to be able offer more children the opportunity to join our school community.”
- 1 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 2 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 3 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 4 Battle lines drawn as school’s 3G pitch decision heads to meeting
- 5 Police officers barred for 'shameful' misconduct over murdered sisters
- 6 Met Police arrest more than 900 in London-wide knife crime op
- 7 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack
- 8 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 9 Handcuffing: What is the Met's new policy and why has it been introduced?
- 10 Covid-19: How Brent's current cases compare to November 2020
Councillor Mike Katz, Labour ward councillor for Kilburn, said: “This is great news for NW6. Figures show how desperate we need a primary school in this area.
“Labour councillors have been campaigning hard to make this happen and it is fantastic that Camden Council is taking action.”
Liddell Road was identified last summer as a possible site for new school places. Of 153 children who were without a school place in Camden on May 1, 104 lived west of Finchley Road.