Brent Central MP Dawn Butler to be shadow black and minority ethnic communities minister
- Credit: PA
Dawn Butler has been given the role of shadow black and minority ethnic communities minister in Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow cabinet
Ms Butler, Labour MP for Brent Central, said: “I am very proud that the Labour party now has five MPs in our shadow cabinet from the BAME community – the highest number ever in any cabinet or shadow cabinet.”
Shami Chakrabarti, the former Liberty director who carried out a controversial investigation into anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, is to be the new shadow attorney general.
Other key appointments include Holborn and St Pancras MP Keir Starmer is to be shadow Brexit Minister while Corbyn’s close ally Diane Abbott is to take the key role of shadow home secretary.
Ms Abbott tweeted: “Congratulations to @DawnButlerBrent in her new role as Shadow Minister for Black and Minority Ethnic communities. So proud.”
You may also want to watch:
The Labour leader has so far been resistant to calls from former shadow cabinet members for the body’s membership to be decided by a ballot of MPs.
More reaction throughout the day.
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent