Live soul music event will raise funds for Kensal Rise Community Library
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners are inviting people to dance the night away in aid of a new community library in Kensal Rise.
Afro-Soul singer songwriter Jon Scott and contemporary eight-piece band Space UK will be performing an evening of live soul music to raise funds for Kensal Rise Community Library.
The reading room is due to open in the next few weeks in the space within the former council-run library building in Bathurst Gardens which was closed by the council in 2011.
Residents formed Friends of Kensal Rise Library (FKRL) to fight the closure and after the branch was axed they launched a successful battle to be allocated space within the building to open a community-run reading room.
However it needs complete renovating including new flooring, plumbing, wiring, plus equipment and books.
You may also want to watch:
An eclectic array of events have taken place to help raise funds involving featuring celebrities, writers and actors.
Margaret Bailey, chairwoman of FKRL, said: “So many different artists, authors and performers have supported our efforts to reclaim our library. There is so much support out there - so many people value libraries. These facts are heartening.
- 1 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 6 QPR boss Mark Warburton unfazed by prospect of losing Ilias Chair
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 The Chase's Dark Destroyer makes Covid vaccine film with Brent Council
- 9 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 10 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
“I hope many people will come to this event to help our community celebrate getting its library back.”
The music night will take place at Queens Park Community School in Aylestone Avenue, on July 17 from 7.30pm.
Tickets cost £10.
To buy tickets online visit savekensalriselibrary.org.
Alternatively tickets can be purchased from C & D Food and Wine at 62 College Road, Kensal Green and Daniels Estate Agents at 77 Chamberlayne Road.