Liberty to drive their own slogan through Brent in response to ‘racist van’ campaign
- Credit: Archant
A civil liberty group will drive through the streets of Brent tomorrow to broadcast their response to a controversial campaign by the government targeting illegal immigrants.
A van bearing the slogan “Stirring up tension and division in the UK illegally? Home Office, think again” will be driven by Liberty following the initiative which has attracted heavy criticism.
Politicians from all parties united to condemn the action which saw a van telling illegal immigrants to ‘go home or face arrest’ driven through Brent and five other boroughs in London.
Liberty believes the billboards were deeply offensive and divisive and in breach of the Equality Act 2010.
Last week, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) announced it was to investigate the campaign and spot checks conducted by immigration officers at Kensal Green train station and Chichele Road, Cricklewood, as well as other transport hubs up and down the country this week.
You may also want to watch:
A Home Office spokesman said: “We make no apology for enforcing our immigration laws and our officers carry out hundreds of operations like this every year around London. Where we find people who are in the UK illegally we will seek to remove them.”
Liberty’s van will circle the Home Office in Westminster and the surrounding area in the morning, before visiting Kensal Green and Walthamstow in east London.
- 1 Daughter buys winning Set For Life lottery ticket for mum's birthday
- 2 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 3 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
- 4 The road closures to look out for as Euro 2020 kicks off at Wembley
- 5 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 6 Resident calls for 'slum launderette' to be taken off Neasden street
- 7 Father's Day 2021: Authors from Kingsbury and Kilburn share experiences of being a dad
- 8 Appeal after passengers assaulted on buses in Cricklewood
- 9 Man in hospital following shooting in Neasden
- 10 Man arrested after Harlesden stabbing