Lib Dems select former radical Islamist Maajid Nawaz as parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
Former Muslim radical and author Maajid Nawaz has been selected as the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn.
He won a majority of votes among local party members at a hustings held in West Hampstead last night.
Mr Nawaz, who was a member of hardline global Islamist organisation Hizb ut-Tahrir, is the is the co-founder and chairman of Quilliam - a counter-extremism think-tank.
The organisation was set-up with Labour party member, Ed Husain, five years ago after publicly renouncing Islamist ideology following a stint in an Egyptian jail.
Mr Nawaz has also published a book Radical which follows his journey from religious extremist to pro-democracy campaigner.
He beat four other candidates who were hoping to be selected as the Lib Dem party candidate, including former Kilburn councillor and Camden Council cabinet member James King, retired GP Catherine Royce, David Bouchier and disability campaigner David Buxton.
Mr Nawaz will face Labour’s Tulip Siddiq and Conservative Simon Marcus in the race to become Hampstead and Kilburn’s next MP during the 2015 general election.
- 1 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 2 'London’s smallest bus lane' earns Harrow Council £440,000
- 3 Below-par QPR found a way to win at Coventry says Warburton
- 4 Teenager grabbed and pulled towards car in broad daylight
- 5 Women attacked on way home from night out in Wembley
- 6 Brent LTN removal set to be financed from 'existing council budgets'
- 7 Sudbury: Plan for 52 one-bed flats falls through after appeal
- 8 Adomah's late goal wins it for QPR at Coventry
- 9 Residents lose appeal to save Brent leisure centre
- 10 Wembley man who used child to sell drugs due in court
He said: “Following my confirmation as the Liberal Democrat candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn, I am looking forward to running for public office. Quilliam will remain a priority for me because its values shape my beliefs and outlook.”