KOVE love their national award!
A COMMUNITY group dedicated to improving life for elderly residents has won a national award for their inspirational work. Kilburn Older Voice Exchange (KOVE), at the Kingsgate Resource Centre in Palmerston Road, Brondesbury, was given a �500 grant from
A COMMUNITY group dedicated to improving life for elderly residents has won a national award for their inspirational work.
Kilburn Older Voice Exchange (KOVE), at the Kingsgate Resource Centre in Palmerston Road, Brondesbury, was given a �500 grant from communications charity Media Trust for their use of digital media to address issues affecting older people.
The community group was set up nine years ago to give older people in the borough the chance to have their voice heard about issues including home care, road crossings and accessible toilet facilities using multimedia.
Carol Thomas, a member of KOVE, said: "KOVE has given us all a voice in the community where older people are often overlooked."
Members are currently addressing the issue of road crossings in Kilburn and West Hampstead, which they believe do not allow enough time for older people to get across the road safely, as well as investigating the amount of community seating and benches across the borough.
The award marks the first stage of their 'Community Voices' campaign, a two-year project delivered by Media Trust, which aims to engage and support disadvantaged and isolated communities in getting their voices heard through digital media.
- 1 Flats approved for Brondesbury Park
- 2 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 3 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 4 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 5 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 6 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 7 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 8 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
- 9 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 10 Plea date set for men accused of fatal stabbing in Neasden
Gavin Sheppard, Media Trust's director of marketing and communications services, said: "We were especially impressed with the way KOVE has facilitated older people within the community to have a voice and describe their own personal experiences and the difficulties they face, using multimedia."
For more information on KOVE visit www.acting-up.org.uk/kove.htm
See www.mediatrust.org/communityvoices for more information on Community Voices.