KOVE love their national award!
A COMMUNITY group dedicated to improving life for elderly residents has won a national award for their inspirational work. Kilburn Older Voice Exchange (KOVE), at the Kingsgate Resource Centre in Palmerston Road, Brondesbury, was given a �500 grant from
A COMMUNITY group dedicated to improving life for elderly residents has won a national award for their inspirational work.
Kilburn Older Voice Exchange (KOVE), at the Kingsgate Resource Centre in Palmerston Road, Brondesbury, was given a �500 grant from communications charity Media Trust for their use of digital media to address issues affecting older people.
The community group was set up nine years ago to give older people in the borough the chance to have their voice heard about issues including home care, road crossings and accessible toilet facilities using multimedia.
Carol Thomas, a member of KOVE, said: "KOVE has given us all a voice in the community where older people are often overlooked."
You may also want to watch:
Members are currently addressing the issue of road crossings in Kilburn and West Hampstead, which they believe do not allow enough time for older people to get across the road safely, as well as investigating the amount of community seating and benches across the borough.
The award marks the first stage of their 'Community Voices' campaign, a two-year project delivered by Media Trust, which aims to engage and support disadvantaged and isolated communities in getting their voices heard through digital media.
- 1 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 2 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 3 'Residents have faced a living nightmare as a result of the cladding scandal'
- 4 Cricklewood Library crowdfunder launched to 'get it over the line'
- 5 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 6 Kingsbury teen appears in court charged with Brent Cross fatal stabbing
- 7 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 8 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 9 A full-time dedicated Euros Policing Team will police Wembley Stadium
- 10 Police 'determined' to find Wembley man who failed to appear at court
Gavin Sheppard, Media Trust's director of marketing and communications services, said: "We were especially impressed with the way KOVE has facilitated older people within the community to have a voice and describe their own personal experiences and the difficulties they face, using multimedia."
For more information on KOVE visit www.acting-up.org.uk/kove.htm
See www.mediatrust.org/communityvoices for more information on Community Voices.