Kingsbury man jailed for ‘pram rage’ attack
Young father beat up mother in front of her two young children
A Kingsbury man who attacked a mother in front of her two young children in a ‘pram rage’ incident has been sent to jail.
Nathaniel Pope, 21 of Derwent Rise, and his 19-year-old partner Amy Boyle from Islington, assaulted Leila de Aguiar on a number 83 bus in Hendon on January 17.
The couple flew into a rage after the 23-year-old mother, who was with her three-year-old and seven-month-old daughters, moved her pram to allow the couple to place their buggy in the allocated space on the bus.
But, when Ms de Aguiar tried to squeeze her pram back into the space, which has enough room for two buggies, Boyle swore at her, spat at her and threatened to punch her.
You may also want to watch:
Pope stepped in and pulled the terrified mother by her hair before smashing her head with a metal pole when she tried to defend herself.
He then dragged her off the bus where he continued his attack.
- 1 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 2 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 3 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 4 Tapas restaurant The Star opens in Willesden Green with free parties
- 5 Application submitted to turn 'bed bug' hotel in Harlesden into HMO
- 6 Man who murdered Kilburn waiter jailed
- 7 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 8 Wembley pensioner, 71, off to university with EuroMillions win
- 9 Estranged husband who set wife on fire in Stonebridge jailed
- 10 QPR were soft in heavy Fulham defeat says boss Warburton
The court heard Ms de Aguiar was prevented from getting back on the bus to her children by the use of ‘considerable force’ and she was left bleeding on the pavement.
The pair fled with their child immediately afterwards by casually wheeling their pram off the bus.
On Tuesday at Hendon Magistrates’ Court, Pope was sentenced to four months in jail and Boyle received a three month sentence suspended for 12 months.
She was also ordered to attend a women’s centre for 36 hours and to carry out 100 hours of community service.
The pair had both admitted assault at earlier hearing last month.
Detective Sergeant Brad Crossley, investigating officer, said: “I think this sentence is well merited as it was a sickening attack on a lone woman with children.
“Neither of the convicted showed any remorse for their actions either in interview or in court.
“The CCTV on the bus provided compelling evidence of the despicable nature of this attack.
“In cases like this is important that a strong message is sent that this sort of behaviour is totally unacceptable and the consequences will be a prison sentence.”