Kilburn woman braves race to raise funds for cancer charities
Christine Brown lost her mother, father and close friend to the disease
A brave woman from Kilburn who is recovering from cancer is running a charity race in memory of her parents and close friend who have all died from the disease.
Christine Brown, 45, of Sherriff Road, lost her mother Joy, 65, to bowel cancer nine years ago before her father Hughbert died after suffering a brain tumour 26 years ago at the age of 60.
Her life was then turned upside down again last year when she was diagnosed with breast cancer along with her sister Wynetta, who is now in remission.
For the past year Ms Brown has been undergoing and chemotherapy and radiotherapy and is on medication for the next five years.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Cancer runs in my dad’s family. We are like a ticking time bomb.
“Taking part in this race means everything to me. I first wanted to do it for my mum and dad but I know so many people have been affected by cancer. I just want to give something back. I’m barely walking, but I am beating it and I am determined to finish it.”
- 1 Indian Covid variant found in Brent
- 2 Man arrested and knife found after police chase through Willesden Green
- 3 A full-time dedicated Euros Policing Team will police Wembley Stadium
- 4 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 5 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 6 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 7 Parents 'not consulted' on restructuring of Brondesbury Park primary school
- 8 'Residents have faced a living nightmare as a result of the cladding scandal'
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 10 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
Ms Brown is taking part in Race for Life in Hyde Park on May 27.
Money raised will be donated to charities C is for Cure and Race For Life.
She said: “I’ve had my ups and downs. But I’m lucky that I am on the road to recovery.
“Money raised will be donated to charities which are trying to find cures to the disease or ways people who are suffering from cancer can have a better way of life.”
To donate to Christine visit http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/christinebrown89