Kilburn woman braves race to raise funds for cancer charities
Christine Brown lost her mother, father and close friend to the disease
A brave woman from Kilburn who is recovering from cancer is running a charity race in memory of her parents and close friend who have all died from the disease.
Christine Brown, 45, of Sherriff Road, lost her mother Joy, 65, to bowel cancer nine years ago before her father Hughbert died after suffering a brain tumour 26 years ago at the age of 60.
Her life was then turned upside down again last year when she was diagnosed with breast cancer along with her sister Wynetta, who is now in remission.
For the past year Ms Brown has been undergoing and chemotherapy and radiotherapy and is on medication for the next five years.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Cancer runs in my dad’s family. We are like a ticking time bomb.
“Taking part in this race means everything to me. I first wanted to do it for my mum and dad but I know so many people have been affected by cancer. I just want to give something back. I’m barely walking, but I am beating it and I am determined to finish it.”
- 1 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
- 2 Willesden Green residents oppose mosque's housing block application
- 3 View from the chamber - 'The recycling centre is just inside the new ULEZ boundary'
- 4 Tom Dean wins second Tokyo 2020 gold with 4x200m relay victory
- 5 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 6 Former Brent school boy Tom Dean beats Covid to win Gold at the Tokyo Olympics
- 7 Letter on banning wearing of religious symbols
- 8 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 9 Wembley Park's Summer on Screen festival kicks off with Gurinder Chadha Q&A
- 10 View from the community - 'Could another riot happen?'
Ms Brown is taking part in Race for Life in Hyde Park on May 27.
Money raised will be donated to charities C is for Cure and Race For Life.
She said: “I’ve had my ups and downs. But I’m lucky that I am on the road to recovery.
“Money raised will be donated to charities which are trying to find cures to the disease or ways people who are suffering from cancer can have a better way of life.”
To donate to Christine visit http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/christinebrown89