Kilburn Park: Car blaze
A car burst into flames outside a busy tube station as shocked commuters looked on, writes Kate Ferguson. The fire brigade rushed to Kilburn Park tube after a blue Ford Galaxy caught fire outside the station on Thursday afternoon, leaving the entire fr
A car burst into flames outside a busy tube station as shocked commuters looked on, writes Kate Ferguson.
The fire brigade rushed to Kilburn Park tube after a blue Ford Galaxy caught fire outside the station on Thursday afternoon, leaving the entire front hood and engine blackened and charred.
Fire crews battled the blaze as a growing crowd of passengers and passers by gathered to watch.
Debby Jay, a ticket assistant at the station, said: "Smoke came pouring into the station. At first I thought it was the weather turning to fog, but it smelt putrid and began to thicken and it was then I realised it must be a fire.
You may also want to watch:
"It was dense fog and very smelly, it smelt of smouldering fires.
"Around 50 people gathered and watched the fire. People came streaming out of the Prince Albert pub across the road to watch the blaze.
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent
"We had to keep resetting our sprinkler system to douse the flames."
A station supervisor called the fire brigade and warned other staff to stay inside, away from the blaze.
Luckily the fire didn't spread, and a car parked just a meter away was unscathed.
The owner of the car arrived on the scene, but he said he was too distressed to talk to the paper.
No one was injured.