Kenton actress in the running for Miss India UK title
Nimisha Mehta, 23, shortlisted for beauty pageant
A Kenton actress is one step away from representing the UK on a global scale at the Miss India finals.
Nimisha Mehta, 23, of Loretto Gardens, has been shortlisted after winning her heat in the regional finals.
Miss Mehta, a former student at Alperton Community School, in Stanley Avenue, Alperton, was required to pass a rigorous test including fashion and a question and answer session.
Speaking to the Times, Ms Mehta, who has been modelling and dancing since she was 13-years-old hailed the competition as a ‘great opportunity’.
She said: “It would be amazing to represent the UK as it’s the country I lived all my life, particularly my hometown borough.
“North London had the most representatives which shows the diversity of where I grew up.”
- 1 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 2 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 5 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 8 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 9 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
- 10 Police officer sacked after she 'failed' woman murdered by husband
During the later stages of the competition Miss Mehta, will be highlighting awareness of her chosen charity, The Sarvam Trust, which works with under developed settlements in India.
Miss Mehta said: “There purpose is not just to help financially but to also change mentality.
“They help provide education and also encouraging people to educate themselves while improving aspects we don’t hear often about.
“I really believe in developing and inspiring a new generation”
The former law student at the University of Westminster added: “I hope it all goes well, it’s a dream most girls have dreamt of and I am fortunate to be able to pursue it.”
The Miss India UK final will take place on October 27, in Oxford with the overall winner going through to the Miss World India final next year.
For more information go to www.missindiaworldwideuk.co.uk