Kensal Rise women get together to launch monthly ladies’ night
The new group, called Ladies of the Rise, hopes to inspire other women who live in the area
Sisters have been doing it for themselves at a new monthly soiree in Kensal Green.
The group, called Ladies of the Rise, aims to bring together women who live in the area and celebrate the neighbourhood’s community spirit.
Each month the women will hear from a different speaker who is an expert in her field, working in the worlds of fashion, literature, the arts of charitable institutes.
Alternatively, an activity will be organised to educate and challenge its members.
You may also want to watch:
Sheena Skinner, from Paradise, By Way of Kensal Green where the evenings are held, said: “Our meetings are an opportunity for ladies to meet and engage with fellow residents, as well as potentially planning fundraising events and parties throughout the year.
“We aim to cover a plethora of subjects ranging from tips in running a business, travel, fashion design, crafts, baking. Anything goes really as long as it is of interest and the speaker is passionate about it.”
- 1 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 2 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 3 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 4 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
- 9 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 10 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent
Victoria Brotherson, owner of Scarlet & Violet florist, in Chamberlayne Road, was guest speaker at the first meeting in March and was interviewed by Niki Browes, Entertainment Director from Instyle magazine.
Juliet Kinsman, editor-in-chief of luxury travel specialists Mr and Mrs Smith, took to the stage on Thursday night where she was interviewed by television and radio presenter Gaby Roslin.
Ms Kinsman also runs the popular Park Life blog, which focuses on happenings in Kensal Rise and Queen’s Park.
Money raised on the night will be donated to the Mayhew Animal Home, in Trenmar Gardens, Kensal Green.
Kensal Rise photographer, Lydia Evans, had her camera ready to capture evening’s highlights.
Sheena said: “Everything we do is undertaken with a jolly spirit, a glass of wine and without taking ourselves too seriously.
“We love making and meeting new friends so if you live in the Kensal Rise area, come and join us.”
Ladies of the Rise meet on the last Thursday of every month at 7.30pm at Paradise, By Way of Kensal Green, 19 Kilburn Lane, Kensal Green, W10 4AE.
To find out more visit www.theparadise.co.uk or join the group’s Facebook and Twitter page.
To see more photos click on the thumbnail at the top right-hand side of the story.