Judo champion opens club in Wembley
Former British Judo Championships winner Lionel Hibbert launches martial arts lesson the Chalkhill
A home-grown judo champion is throwing down the gauntlet to youngsters by opening a new club in Wembley.
Former British Judo Championships winner Lionel Hibbert, 46, who grew up in Wembley and Kingsbury, founded Pride Judo Club earlier this month and now wants boys and girls to give it a try.
Mr Hibbert, of Wood Close, Kingsbury, who has been coaching judo for more than a decade, felt it was “the right time” to open his own club.
He said: “I want to start a club that will help the community. If we can get a couple of youngsters interested in judo then I will have done what I set out to do.”
You may also want to watch:
The martial arts expert, who has won over 100 medals over the course of his career, is ambitious and has plans for the future.
He said: “I am hoping once we get going and gain a few more members we will expand and possibly run sessions on Saturday afternoons.”
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 5 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
- 9 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 10 Summer in the City: Five things to do in Brent this weekend
The sessions take place on at Chalkhill Community Centre in Chalk Hill Road, Wembley. The first lesson is free and �3 thereafter with jackets provided.
For more information call 07985336181.
Sessions are Monday between 7-8pm ( 7-13 year-olds) and 8-9pm (14+)
Wednesdays from 6.30-7pm (7-13 year-olds) and 7.30-8.30pm (14 and over)