Jubilee line works to end in spring

But no date given to end of weekend misery to travellers

THE Mayor of London has announced significant progress has been made on the Jubilee line with works due to finish in the spring.

The line is being upgraded to increase capacity by 33 per cent and reduce journey times by 22 per cent.

Disruption to the line has meant regular closures at weekends causing chaos and frustration for travellers and the 02 Arena in Greenwich.

Transport for London blamed the duration of the works on Tube Lines, the private contractor originally responsible, on being ‘well behind schedule’ before they were taken over by TfL.


You may also want to watch:


However it says the new signalling system is nearly completed and already working Dollis Hill and Stratford.

Mike Brown, Managing Director for London Underground, said: “This major milestone represents one of the first fruits of TfL taking direct control of the Tube upgrades after the failure of the PPP system to deliver.

Most Read

“We inherited a Jubilee line upgrade that had been frustrating and painful for passengers and businesses, and we have been working around the clock to complete the work as quickly as possible.

Boris Johnson, said: “Parts of our Tube network date back to the 19th Century and upgrading it is vital to ensure our Capital can continue to cope with ever increasing demands.

• There is no planned work on the Jubilee or Bakerloo lines this weekend.

• The Overground will be suspended between Shepherd’s Bush and Willesden Junction and Gunnersbury and Gospel Oak on Sunday due to engineering work.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus