John Lewis to close distribution centre in Park Royal
- Credit: Archant
Up to 560 jobs to go as department store relocates to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire
Department store John Lewis has announced it is to close its distribution centre in Park Royal resulting in the loss of up to 560 jobs.
Operations from the site in Kendal Avenue will be transferred to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, as part of the company’s new development to improve their ongoing growth strategy.
The proposed plans, which employees (Partners) are currently being consulted on, also includes the creation of up to 450 jobs at the relocation site.
A further 200 new jobs will be created at new smaller delivery hub planned within London.
You may also want to watch:
The Park Royal site is expected to close at the end of 2015.
Dino Rocos, operations director at John Lewis, said: “Despite ongoing investment from us in the site, Park Royal no longer gives us the space we need for future expansion.
- 1 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 2 Born and bred Brent residents now priced out of £6.5m homes
- 3 Queen's Park nursery forced to close following damning Ofsted report
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
- 7 QPR determined to remain among Championship front-runners
- 8 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 9 15 questions to quiz how well you know Brent
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
“We recognise the high level of talent and valuable experience that currently exists within Park Royal and, if we proceed with the proposal to close Park Royal, we hope that as many Partners as possible will be able to continue to contribute to the business in a new role.”
Cllr Ann John OBE, councillor for the Stonebridge ward, said the news was a blow for many residents.
She said: “John Lewis is one of the biggest employers in the borough and this will have a huge effect on residents in Stonebridge and Harlesden.
“With Park Royal being the home of the biggest business park in Europe I would have thought it would be advantageous For John Lewis to remain there.
“I am shocked by this decision.”
Will you be affected by the closure?
Call the news team on 020 7433 6228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.