John Lewis to close distribution centre in Park Royal
- Credit: Archant
Up to 560 jobs to go as department store relocates to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire
Department store John Lewis has announced it is to close its distribution centre in Park Royal resulting in the loss of up to 560 jobs.
Operations from the site in Kendal Avenue will be transferred to Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, as part of the company’s new development to improve their ongoing growth strategy.
The proposed plans, which employees (Partners) are currently being consulted on, also includes the creation of up to 450 jobs at the relocation site.
A further 200 new jobs will be created at new smaller delivery hub planned within London.
You may also want to watch:
The Park Royal site is expected to close at the end of 2015.
Dino Rocos, operations director at John Lewis, said: “Despite ongoing investment from us in the site, Park Royal no longer gives us the space we need for future expansion.
- 1 Daughter buys winning Set For Life lottery ticket for mum's birthday
- 2 Photographer seeks people he took pictures of in the early 1990s
- 3 Wembley business man wins £120,000 National Lottery prize
- 4 The road closures to look out for as Euro 2020 kicks off at Wembley
- 5 Man accused of sisters' double murder was 'confused' upon arrest
- 6 Father's Day 2021: Authors from Kingsbury and Kilburn share experiences of being a dad
- 7 Resident calls for 'slum launderette' to be taken off Neasden street
- 8 Appeal after passengers assaulted on buses in Cricklewood
- 9 Wembley Sailing Club offering families a free lesson in Welsh Harp
- 10 Queen's Park councillor made MBE in Birthday Honours
“We recognise the high level of talent and valuable experience that currently exists within Park Royal and, if we proceed with the proposal to close Park Royal, we hope that as many Partners as possible will be able to continue to contribute to the business in a new role.”
Cllr Ann John OBE, councillor for the Stonebridge ward, said the news was a blow for many residents.
She said: “John Lewis is one of the biggest employers in the borough and this will have a huge effect on residents in Stonebridge and Harlesden.
“With Park Royal being the home of the biggest business park in Europe I would have thought it would be advantageous For John Lewis to remain there.
“I am shocked by this decision.”
Will you be affected by the closure?
Call the news team on 020 7433 6228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.