Joanna Lumley visits the Mayhew in Kensal Green
- Credit: Archant
Actress Joanna Lumley visited an animal charity in Kensal Green today to encourage more people to adopt a rescue dog.
The New Avengers star who played Purdey in the 1970s show rubbed noses with a Dalmatian called Purdy at the Mayhew Animal Home in Trenmar Gardens.
The seven-year-old dog and his sister Penny arrived at the Mayhew a few months ago after their owners split up.
Despite being lovely friendly dogs they have repeatedly been overlooked for a second chance home.
October is dog adoption month and Ms Lumley urged animal lovers to take in a rescue pet.
She said: “Thousands of dogs in the UK are just thrown away – or lose their homes - when things get tough which is why we need rescue centres but they are stretched to breaking point.
“It’s great to have national adoption month as a reminder to help dogs who are not quite so lucky at finding a second home. As a passionate animal lover I would urge people to consider adopting a rescue dog which is hugely rewarding for all sides.”
If you are interested in adopting a dog please contact 0208 962 8000 or visit themayhew.org.
- 1 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 2 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 3 Man stabbed in Harlesden High Street
- 4 'It's about belief," says QPR boss ahead of Stoke clash
- 5 Cricklewood man appears in court accused of Golders Green rape
- 6 Almost 800 homes to be built next to Wembley Stadium
- 7 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 8 Harlesden TSB branch faces the axe
- 9 Dogs kill 'much-loved pet' in Brent park attack
- 10 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets