Innocent student killed in gang warfare
by Lorraine King An innocent university student was stabbed to death by members of a notorious gang in revenge over a stolen mobile phone, a court heard. Up to 25 youths from the west London MDP gang attacked Yason Abdirahman afte
by Lorraine King
An innocent university student was stabbed to death by members of a notorious gang in revenge over a stolen mobile phone, a court heard.
Up to 25 youths from the west London 'MDP' gang attacked Yason Abdirahman after wrongly believing he was a member of rival crew 'Grit Set', it is claimed.
Nine youths aged between 15 and 20 and from Willesden, Shepherd's Bush and west London, deny conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm with intent on September 3, 2007.
They are not charged with killing the 22-year-old victim and can not be named for legal reasons.
The Old Bailey heard the gang struck after a 15-year-old MDP member had his phone stolen by Grit Set a few weeks before.
- 1 QPR ground name to revert to Loftus Road for 2022-23
- 2 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 3 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 4 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 5 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 9 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
Brandishing Staffordshire bull terriers, sticks, broken bottles and knives, the hooded and masked MDP youths chased Mr Abdirahman down the street before attacking him.
He was stabbed in the head three times with severe force and the blade penetrated his brain.
The court heard that on the fateful night the MDP headed to the Windmill Park Estate in Southall, west London, hell bent on revenge.
Footage from CCTV cameras on a number 207 bendy bus showed around 20 members of the gang wearing hoods and baseball caps on their way to attack the victim.
Prosecutor Brendan Finucane QC said: "Mr Abdirahman was not a member of Grit Set. He was just unlucky."
Mr Abdirahman managed to stagger to his feet and a passing motorist took him to hospital but he died just over a week later.
The prosecutor added that a 'cat's cradle' of mobile phone evidence linked all the defendants to the scene of the murder.
The trial continues.