Information appeal after carpenter who worked in Brent and Camden dies from asbestos-related cancer mesothelioma
- Credit: Archant
The family of a retired carpenter who died from a cancer associated with being exposed to asbestos are appealing for information about his working conditions from his former colleagues.
Allen Lavell died from mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer, in March last year aged 78 – nine months after he was diagnosed with the terminal illness.
Before he died he told his family that in the mid 1950s he made doors which were filled with asbestos to make them fireproof, but feared he may have been exposed to the lethal material throughout his working life.
Mr Lavell had worked as a carpenter and joiner at T H W Hearle in Camden Town between 1952 and 1957, Hickmans in Brent from 1959 to1962 and Heaton Tabbs & Co in Willesden from 1962 to 1964.
He also did some self-employed work during this time.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lavell’s widow and two children are trying to trace his former colleagues in the hope that they can provide information about his working conditions to help them establish whether he was exposed to asbestos.
Mr Lavell’s son, John, said: “We were in total shock when we heard about dad’s illness. To hear that he could have contracted it from being exposed to asbestos over 50 years ago left us flabbergasted, it was the last thing we were expecting.
- 1 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 2 Derelict land in Kenton transformed by community bio diversity project
- 3 Doctor fears another covid lockdown as vaccine take up 'wanes'
- 4 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 5 Women have access to free period packs in six Brent locations
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 8 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 9 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 10 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
“We never knew too much about dad’s work other than he was a carpenter and joiner, but once we found out he had mesothelioma, he told us about how he may have been exposed to asbestos.
“We hope there are people out there that worked with dad who can help us to piece together how and where he might have come into contact with asbestos.”
Former colleagues who knew Allen Lavell can get in touch with law firm Hugh James by calling Hayley Hawkins on 0808 231 6604.