Impressive QPR ease to win over Bournemouth

Charlie Austin celebrates scoring for QPR against Bournemouth

Charlie Austin celebrates scoring for QPR against Bournemouth - Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images

Championship: QPR 3 Bournemouth 0

Charlie Austin’s 10th goal of the season helped secure a comfortable win over Bournemouth on Tuesday night as QPR returned to winning ways in the Championship.

Austin gave Rangers the lead late in the first half, before Junior Hoilett doubled the lead after half-time and substitute Matt Phillips added a spectacular late third.

It was the first time this season that QPR have scored more than two goals in a game, and kept them third in the table, behind Burnley on goal difference.

On the back of Saturday’s defeat to Doncaster, Rangers manager Harry Redknapp chose to abandon the 4-2-3-1 formation he adopted in recent weeks in favour of a 4-4-2 system, with Andy Johnson coming in to partner Austin.

Midfielder Tom Carroll also returned to the starting line-up having recovered from an ankle injury, while Phillips was dropped to the bench in favour of Gary O’Neil on the right.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto gave Rangers an early nervous moment with header back to Rob Green under pressure which almost slipped past the QPR keeper, who had to gather at the second attempt.

Most Read

In-form Austin provided Rangers’ first threat, meeting Danny Simpson’s cross with a firm looping header which former QPR keeper Lee Camp did well to tip over the crossbar.

An in-swinging free-kick from Joey Barton was headed onto the roof of the net by Richard Dunne, while Bournemouth’s Mark Pugh curled a shot well wide of Green’s goal.

QPR made the breakthrough on 26 minutes through a familiar source. Johnson chased a ball down the left and sent in a looping cross for Austin, who brought the ball down and poked it past Camp. It was Austin’s ninth league goal of the season, and his 10th in all competitions.

And Austin was involved again on the half-hour mark, as he tangled with Cook on the edge of the area. The Bournemouth defender went to ground and handled the ball in full view of the assistant referee. But to QPR’s dismay, Cook escaped even a booking, with referee Ian Williamson awarding a free-kick outside the area.

Denied a penalty, QPR momentarily lost their cool, with Barton booked for clipping Simon Francis.

Bournemouth could not capitalise however, with Brett Pitman seeing one tame effort saved by Green and another fly wide of the post.

QPR made it 2-0 with their first effort on target of the second half. Simpson’s cross was mis-hit by Austin, and Hoilett finished at the back post with a shot across Camp which squeezed into the corner.

Bournemouth replied with Harry Arter’s effort forcing Green into a smart save.

But Rangers wrapped it up through Phillips with less than 15 minutes remaining. The winger, having replaced Hoilett minutes earlier, burst between two defenders and lashed a shot past Camp.

QPR: Green, Simpson, Dunne, Hill, Assou-Ekotto, Hoilett (Phillips), Barton, Carroll, O’Neil (Traore), Austin, Johnson (Jenas).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter