Hundreds raised for charity helping Brent’s homeless
- Credit: Archant
Stars of radio and TV turn out for night of entertainment
Hundreds of pounds have been raised for a Cricklewood based charity during a special fundraising event complete with special guests.
Recognised faces from TV and Radio came together to raise more than £400 for the Route 18 Winter Shelter.
The project made up of members of Cricklewood Homeless Concern (CHC), churches and one mosque who try to ensure that people on the streets have a warm, welcoming place to stay as well as offering them advice and support to find accommodation and employment opportunities.
Entertainers included Mark Steel, stand up comic and newspaper columnist and Ann Mitchell, who currently plays Cora Cross in EastEnders.
You may also want to watch:
The actress read spoke about one of her favourite poems, ‘Whitechapel Library, Aldgate East’ by Bernard Kops.
Currently in its fifth year the project, which supported by Brent Council, has helped 200 people off the streets in Brent.
- 1 Landlord faces jail if he tries to evict Kilburn tenants
- 2 Officer's leg broken after e-scooter rider fails to stop, say police
- 3 New QPR signing Moses Odubajo's story so far
- 4 Diamond thief prepared for £4.2m heist at Cricklewood hotel
- 5 Traffic disruption in Brent from August 2-8
- 6 Head of school attended by Tom Dean, Zadie Smith and Rachel Yankey set to retire
- 7 Teenager jailed for murder of Jamalie Maleek in Northwick Park
- 8 Petition launched to declare Brent a Right To Food borough
- 9 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 10 Drunk and off-duty Met officer sentenced after assaulting man
Danny Maher, CEO of CHC, told the Times: “We are delighted with the event as it will help us to continue the excellent work of Route 18 Winter Shelter.
“The project is one of the best examples of Brent faith groups, hundreds of volunteers, CHC and Brent Council working together for the benefit of people in Brent.”
The event, on Friday February 22 was at the London Inter Faith Centre in Salusbury Road, Queen’s Park.