How to shed that holiday weight
A ten-point plan on losing those extra pounds with some gym offers to boot
NOW the annual food-stuffing and binge-drinking fortnight is over the shorter New Year resolution season begins.
Trying to lose that extra holiday weight is often at the top of the list.
But knowing how difficult this can be the Times is offering a ten-point guide to getting active to help banish those extra pounds.
And to boot we have got some great offers to encourage you down the dreaded gym that will be easier and cost less than you think.
You may also want to watch:
Vale Farm Leisure Centre, in Watford Road, North Wembley, and Willesden Sports Centre, in Donnington Road, Willesden, are offering Brent residents 50 per cent off membership until the end of February and three free personal trainer sessions worth �75.
Alternatively a new pay-as-you-go scheme kicks off at the end of January, called payasugym, which will allow users to book into gyms across London, for as little as �3.50, as and when they want without paying for membership (www.payasugym.com).
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 4 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 5 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 6 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 7 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 8 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 9 'Cowardly' government accused by Brent MP of siding with 'bad bosses'
- 10 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
But even if the gym is too much to bare there are no shortage of small changes to your lifestyle that can hold that tyre at bay.
1. Set short term, medium term and long term goals and reward yourself when you achieve them
2. Join the gym or start exercising with a friend – you will motivate each other
3. Write your exercise in your diary as you would a meeting or appointment. You are far less likely to miss it or cancel if it’s written down
4. Work with a personal trainer – it’s less expensive than you think
5. Mix it up – don’t just do the same exercises. Why not go for a swim or a walk with the dog?
6. Make sure your diet is healthy and nutritious. Try and cut out fatty foods and stock up on fruit, veg and lean protein such as chicken and fish.
7. Have a January clean – do the post-party clean up – housework offers a great workout!
8. Set yourself an exercise goal? Maybe sign up for a half marathon or a fun run in the spring/summer
9. Think fit not thin…we guarantee the fitter you are the slimmer you will be
10. Enjoy it. Exercise and physical activity should be fun!