How to shed that holiday weight
A ten-point plan on losing those extra pounds with some gym offers to boot
NOW the annual food-stuffing and binge-drinking fortnight is over the shorter New Year resolution season begins.
Trying to lose that extra holiday weight is often at the top of the list.
But knowing how difficult this can be the Times is offering a ten-point guide to getting active to help banish those extra pounds.
And to boot we have got some great offers to encourage you down the dreaded gym that will be easier and cost less than you think.
You may also want to watch:
Vale Farm Leisure Centre, in Watford Road, North Wembley, and Willesden Sports Centre, in Donnington Road, Willesden, are offering Brent residents 50 per cent off membership until the end of February and three free personal trainer sessions worth �75.
Alternatively a new pay-as-you-go scheme kicks off at the end of January, called payasugym, which will allow users to book into gyms across London, for as little as �3.50, as and when they want without paying for membership (www.payasugym.com).
- 1 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 2 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 7 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
But even if the gym is too much to bare there are no shortage of small changes to your lifestyle that can hold that tyre at bay.
1. Set short term, medium term and long term goals and reward yourself when you achieve them
2. Join the gym or start exercising with a friend – you will motivate each other
3. Write your exercise in your diary as you would a meeting or appointment. You are far less likely to miss it or cancel if it’s written down
4. Work with a personal trainer – it’s less expensive than you think
5. Mix it up – don’t just do the same exercises. Why not go for a swim or a walk with the dog?
6. Make sure your diet is healthy and nutritious. Try and cut out fatty foods and stock up on fruit, veg and lean protein such as chicken and fish.
7. Have a January clean – do the post-party clean up – housework offers a great workout!
8. Set yourself an exercise goal? Maybe sign up for a half marathon or a fun run in the spring/summer
9. Think fit not thin…we guarantee the fitter you are the slimmer you will be
10. Enjoy it. Exercise and physical activity should be fun!