Housing group accused of putting Kilburn tenants at risk following flat fire
Residents claim landlords failed to install ‘essential’ fire doors
A housing group has been accused of neglecting the lives of residents after a fire took place in their block of flats.
Furious tenants living in Landau House in Chatsworth Road, Kilburn, have spoken out after they were forced to flee their homes when a blaze broke out in a studio flat at around 10pm last night (Monday).
According to Sabrina Taylor, chairwoman of the Landau House residents association, special lights in the block’s hallway which are meant to alert residents to a fire failed to work.
The 33-year-old also claims Brent Housing Partnership (BHP), who manages the building on behalf of Brent Council, also failed to install fire doors despite an assessment ruling they were essential.
You may also want to watch:
She said she used brown tape and wet towels to stop the smoke from coming into her flat after she noticed it slowly gushing in under her front door.
She added: “If I had gone to bed at 9.30pm, like I usually do, then I would be dead.
- 1 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims
- 2 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 3 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 4 Man appears in court charged with the murder of Michael Fadayomi in Willesden
- 5 London elections 2021: Brent & Harrow London Assembly candidates
- 6 Habitual car thief jailed for six months after stealing 11 vehicles
- 7 Election 2021: All the candidates for mayor of London
- 8 Willesden murder investigation: 'Horrified onlookers' watched on as man stabbed in High Road
- 9 Kilburn councillor resigns from Labour group to become Independent
- 10 QPR will look to wrap up the season strongly at home to Luton Town
“BHP is good at producing marketing documents and insignificant surveys but they are not very good at protecting the welfare of their residents.”
Another resident Carol Redding, 51, also questioned whether the flats had been installed with fire doors.
She said: “Last night could have been a death trap for everyone in this block.
“They (BHP) don’t really care about their residents”.
Fire investigators managed to contain the fire which they believe may have in a fuse box.
A spokesperson for BHP told the Times they are conducting an investigation into the fire and the resident’s complaints.