Homeless pregnant woman with two children vows to fight eviction plans by Brent Council
PUBLISHED: 17:44 05 November 2013 | UPDATED: 11:19 06 November 2013
A homeless pregnant mother with two children in her care has vowed to fight attempts to boot her out of her temporary accommodation by council chiefs.
Jahnice Marshall, currently lives in a bedsit in Priory Park Road, Kilburn, but has been threatened with eviction for turning down alternative accommodation offers by Brent Council.
Ms Marshall, who is six months pregnant, and previously lived in Neasden, was given care of the two children age 13 and 16 by the courts after their mother, who is a victim of domestic abuse, was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
The 27-year-old says she was offered homes in areas she needs to avoid through fear of violence including Luton where the father of the two children in her care resides.
She said: “The kids have been through enough and it’s time to make a stand.
“It makes me feel upset. I am very emotional and really stressed out.”
Plans to evict Ms Marshall from the bedsit where she has lived for the last seven months are due to take place on Thursday.
She says request to the council for help to find a deposit so she can find private accommodation have been refused, so she plans to barricade herself and the two children in the property.
“I have had enough. I feel my voice has not been heard,” she added.
A council spokesman said: “Six separate accommodation offers have been made that were affordable for Ms Marshall, and each has been refused by Ms Marshall on grounds that had not previously been identified to the council’s housing service.
“As a result of her failure to accept any of the offers of accommodation she has been advised that the council no longer has a duty towards her and she will need to leave the emergency accommodation and find private accommodation.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.