Home sweet homes in �3m flats scheme
A MULTI-MILLION pound contract to build new homes has been awarded, paving the way for the demolition of a shoddy estate. Gordon House, a crumbling estate in Malvern Road, South Kilburn, will be demolished in May and 26 new affordable flats built on th
A MULTI-MILLION pound contract to build new homes has been awarded, paving the way for the demolition of a 'shoddy' estate.
Gordon House, a crumbling estate in Malvern Road, South Kilburn, will be demolished in May and 26 new affordable flats built on the site.
The flats, which will be built by construction firm Rydon in a contract worth �3.4 million, will include an environmentally friendly green roof with solar panels, giving residents access to greenery and creating a clean energy resource for the flats.
Councillors welcomed the news that the long anticipated contract had finally been awarded.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Anthony Dunn, of Kilburn ward, said: "What is exciting about the new building is that a drab, dismal and shoddy structure is going to be pulled down. And what is going up is something that has got real architectural merit that has been genuinely designed rather than put together like a Lego kit."
The development is part of a wider regeneration programme by Brent Council to create more than 1,500 new homes across South Kilburn, which has been plagued with setbacks.
- 1 Pensioner slams Brent Council over 'hell' housing
- 2 Man admits murdering waiter in Kilburn 38 years ago
- 3 Behind Closed Doors: The high number of Brent evictions
- 4 Two men arrested in connection with Jeffrey Wegby killing
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Brent from climate emergency
- 6 Premier League dream will continue to push clubs into crisis says QPR boss
- 7 Wembley landlady slammed with £144,000 fine after illegally renting properties
- 8 Qusai Alomar, 12, dies after collision involving motorcyclist near Wembley
- 9 Appeal after woman, 69, allegedly raped in Neasden Recreation Ground
- 10 £20,000 reward to find killer of man gunned down in South Kilburn
Work is due to be completed on the development in 2011.