High speed internet to be rolled out in Brent as part of £50m project
- Credit: Archant
Thousands more homeowners and businesses in Brent will have high-speed broadband internet at their finger tips under plans for a £50million fibre broadband roll-out to cities announced by internet provider BT.
BT Openreach will make fibre broadband and speedy downloading available to 7,276 additional homes and businesses in the borough over the next two years, taking its total coverage to more than 115,000 premises.
Andrew Campling, general manager for London in BT Group, said “I’m delighted that BT is able to make a further investment in fibre broadband within Brent. “Whilst fibre broadband is already available to the vast majority of premises across London, we’ve been exploring options that will enable us to expand our coverage in the borough even further.
Given feedback that we’ve had to date, I’m confident that the residents and businesses in the additional parts of Brent where fibre broadband will now become available will be very pleased.”
The plans will bring Brent up to speed with three million homes and businesses in London who currently have access to broadband speeds of more than one gigabyte per second of connectivity.
Across the country BT is investing more than £3 billion deploying fibre broadband across the UK, with work in Brent funded by the £50m earmarked for cities last year.
- 1 Man in stable condition following collision with a van in Neasden
- 2 Guilty: Man killed father who defended son from knife attack in Willesden
- 3 'Security alert' at Willesden Junction causing severe delays on TfL network
- 4 Motorcyclist, 34, dies at Staples Corner Flyover
- 5 Jailed: Brent gangsters who shot a man in his stomach at close range
- 6 Primary school pupils approached by 'man in a van' in attempted abduction
- 7 New Brent baby bank to support 40 families per week
- 8 Possible traffic disruptions in north London this week
- 9 Wembley fitness instructor stopped man taking his own life
- 10 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London