High Road blaze escape
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot . The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three ho
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot
The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three hours till 12.57 to get the fire under control.
No-one was injured but around half of the fifth-floor flat was damaged and 80 people had to be evacuated from the block.
You may also want to watch:
Six fire engines and around 30 firefighters from West Hampstead and surrounding fire stations attended.
Kash Zafrani, 32, a Quex Road resident had just left his shop nearby at about 10.30am when he saw smoke billowing from the building.
- 1 Two schoolboys arrested after community officer 'assaulted' in Wembley
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Free #BuyBrent app launched with exclusive shop local discounts
- 4 Top Boy actor Bashy returns to Harlesden school to surprise pupils
- 5 Pink mob: Two Harlesden women among gang jailed for drug offences valued at £2million
- 6 QPR 'didn't do enough to win the game' in Peterborough defeat
- 7 Boys, 14, charged with assaulting community officer
- 8 'They think I'm a cyborg' says maths supremo as Sparx programme gifted to six Brent schools
- 9 Don't take our parking, shout Wembley neighbours
- 10 'LTN’s have been foisted upon us by a council who will not listen to its residents'
He said that West-end Lane was blocked off at the junction of Quex Road and Abbey Road and he could see about 10 police and fire-brigade vehicles.
"Buses came to a standstill and the whole place was in chaos," Mr Zafrani added.
He said that mothers and children were waiting at bus stops for the route 328 and 139 which couldn't get through because West-end Lane was closed off.
The cause of the blaze is now under investigation.