High Road blaze escape
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot . The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three ho
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot
The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three hours till 12.57 to get the fire under control.
No-one was injured but around half of the fifth-floor flat was damaged and 80 people had to be evacuated from the block.
You may also want to watch:
Six fire engines and around 30 firefighters from West Hampstead and surrounding fire stations attended.
Kash Zafrani, 32, a Quex Road resident had just left his shop nearby at about 10.30am when he saw smoke billowing from the building.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Residents anger as fourth gambling casino approved in Willesden street
- 3 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 4 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 5 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 6 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 7 Tokyo Olympics: Brondesbury Park pupils wish swimmer Tom Dean luck
- 8 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 9 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 10 Traffic disruptions in Brent from July 26 to August 1
He said that West-end Lane was blocked off at the junction of Quex Road and Abbey Road and he could see about 10 police and fire-brigade vehicles.
"Buses came to a standstill and the whole place was in chaos," Mr Zafrani added.
He said that mothers and children were waiting at bus stops for the route 328 and 139 which couldn't get through because West-end Lane was closed off.
The cause of the blaze is now under investigation.