High Road blaze escape
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot . The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three ho
DISTRESSED residents ran from a flat as a fire tore through it during the mid-morning rush on Friday June 4, writes Ima Jackson-Obot
The fire-brigade were called to the Kings Gardens flats in Quex Road, Kilburn at 9.49am and it took just over three hours till 12.57 to get the fire under control.
No-one was injured but around half of the fifth-floor flat was damaged and 80 people had to be evacuated from the block.
Six fire engines and around 30 firefighters from West Hampstead and surrounding fire stations attended.
Kash Zafrani, 32, a Quex Road resident had just left his shop nearby at about 10.30am when he saw smoke billowing from the building.
- 1 Plan for creating 25,500 homes around 'HS2 Superhub' passed
- 2 Former bingo hall in Burnt Oak to become co-working and co-living space
- 3 Wembley school opens new special educational needs facility
- 4 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 5 2 men attacked by group after fight breaks out at Queensbury Tube Station
- 6 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 7 Two charged after police discharge taser during Kingsbury vehicle stop
- 8 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 9 Most wanted: 6 people sought in connection with 10 robberies across London
- 10 Road closed after man's death in Willesden
He said that West-end Lane was blocked off at the junction of Quex Road and Abbey Road and he could see about 10 police and fire-brigade vehicles.
"Buses came to a standstill and the whole place was in chaos," Mr Zafrani added.
He said that mothers and children were waiting at bus stops for the route 328 and 139 which couldn't get through because West-end Lane was closed off.
The cause of the blaze is now under investigation.