High Court to rule on library closures in Brent on Thursday
Landmark case will set a precedent across the country
The outcome of a judicial review into whether Brent Council should close six of the borough’s libraries is expected this morning (Thursday).
The local authority wants to shut half the reading rooms to save �1 million. They are Barham Park, Cricklewood, Kensal Rise, Neasden, Preston and Tokyngton.
Supporters have been campaigning against the closures since last year and took their case to the Royal Courts of Justice in July. If the judge votes in favour of keeping the libraries open it could set a precedent across the country.
The council has spent �70,000 of taxpayers’ money defending its decision.
Celebrities backing the campaign include musicians Nick Cave, Depeche Mode and Alison Goldfrapp and authors Jacqueline Wilson and Philip Pullman.
The hearing is expected at around 10am.
- 1 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 2 Party patrols return as barber’s rave shut down
- 3 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 Man due in court over Wembley murder
- 6 Jailed: Predator raped 12-year-old girl he met on Snapchat
- 7 Three face provisional trial with links to alleged organ-harvesting plot
- 8 New virtual exhibition explores Brent's multicultural history
- 9 Beale savours first win as QPR boss after Willock wonder goal
- 10 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
Margaret Bailey, who has been campaigning to save Kensal Rise, said: “Irrespective of the outcome I’m optimistic about the long term outcome.
“Whatever the outcome this is not the end.
“It does not end. We will fight on.”
The ruling is expected at 10am.