Campaigners have two weeks to lodge appeals in fight to save demolished pub in Kilburn
PUBLISHED: 15:05 15 September 2015 | UPDATED: 15:05 15 September 2015
Campaigners for a demolished pub in Kilburn have two weeks to put in their appeals for it to be rebuilt or they face losing it forever.
Westminster Council officers, councillors and campaigners have until October 1 to defend the Carlton Tavern in Carlton Vale, before it goes to a public inquiry next March.
United in their fight against developers CLTX, Maida Vale councillors Cllr Rita Begum (Labour) and Conservative councillors Tom Crockett and Jan Prendergast, joined Rebuild the Carlton Tavern campaigners and council officers at a packed meeting at St George’s Catholic School in Maida Vale yesterday.
The pre-war pub was demolished by the Israeli-based company in April who appealed council and High Court orders that they rebuild the pub ‘brick by brick’.
In a statement to Westminster Council last week, CLTX said the pub, which was due to be listed by Historic England, was “unremarkable” and in a “poor condition” adding “it is not possible to replicate this because there is not sufficient evidence surviving to illustrate in sufficient detail these fixtures, fittings and decorative treatment.”
Matthew Pendleton, design and conservation officer for the council, said: “It is entirely possible to rebuild the pub from what’s still standing. Its details are still there in pieces.”
He added Historic England took more than 70 photos of the pub weeks before the pub was destroyed and appealed to any residents who had photos of events taken within it to highlight just how popular it was.
Paul Simmons, from the council’s enforcement team, said: “Write a brief email to the planning inspectorate between now and Oct 1 saying I am not happy because… if that’s all you do and you don’t want to attend the inquiry. We’d be very grateful.”
He said big groups planning to attend the inquiry should appoint a spokesperson and write to the inspectorate and ask for a Rule 6 Status.
Rule 6 allows big groups such as nearby estates and the hockey club who used the Carlton Tavern before and after games, to make representations and act as witnesses during the inquiry.
CLTX demolished the pub after it was refused planning permission to build a block of flats with a pub on the ground floor and basement.
The company appealed Westminster Council’s decision after reducing the pub to rubble, and has appealed a further high court enforcement order to rebuild a replica of the pub.
Mr Simmons added: “It doesn’t matter who owns the land. We’re going to have an inquiry about the issues. Is it right and proper for the council to require to be rebuilt, is it right and proper for the council to have refused the planning application. If we are successful in what we are doing, whoever owns the land when we achieve our success will be under obligation to comply with that notice.”
Maureen Pepper, fundraiser for Rebuild the Carlton said: “I am determined that CLTX will never make a penny from their crime. I feel so angry at what they did.”
Cllr Robert Davis, deputy leader of Westminster Council, said: “We asked for a public inquiry and we are delighted that we have been listened to.
“Our residents have made it very clear that they want this pub to return to its former glory, and we will not rest until all avenues have been explored to make sure it happens.”
A protest is being held outside the Carlton Tavern on Sunday at 1pm.
Email Craig Maxwell at teame2pins.gsi.gov.uk or write to him at Room 3/23, Temple Quay House, 2, The Square, Bristol, BS1 6PN.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Brent & Kilburn Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.