Wembley lawyer launches hair dye ban petition in parliament bid
- Credit: Archant
A Wembley lawyer who had a near-fatal allergic reaction to her hair dye is urging people to sign a petition calling for a ban on a dangerous chemical.
Marina Williamson, 33, was hours away from death after being hospitalised with breathing difficulties, a racing heartbeat and angry skin hives after a reaction to Para-phenylenediamine (PPD) in her L’Oreal Garnier Nutrisse home hair dye kit three weeks ago.
Ms Williamson hopes the petition, which calls for PPD in hair dye products to be outlawed in the UK, will gather 100,000 signatures in order for the ban to be debated in parliament.
Speaking to the Times Ms Williamson said: “I’ve launched a petition to have this extremely dangerous chemical outlawed in hair dye products so no one else has to face the diabolical reaction I have had.”
The petition lists potential consequences of allergic reaction to PPD as “severe dermatitis, asthma, hives, intense stinging, irritation, rash” and “swelling of the eyes and/or face, blisters or oozing of the scalp and/or skin, gastritis, renal failure, vertigo, tremors, convulsions, shortness of breath, and coma in humans.”
You may also want to watch:
Users can experience a sudden reaction to PPD despite dying their hair before.
PPD, which is found in many permanent, dye products including dyes and henna tattoos currently features on an EU-wide list of high-risk chemicals subject to a number of legal restrictions.
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 3 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 4 'No light at the end of the tunnel' says Northwick Park surgeon on operation backlogs
- 5 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 6 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 7 Estate agents volunteer at Wembley Park's Covid vaccine centre
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 10 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
Certain compounds of the dye have been banned in several EU countries.
Ms Williamson added: “I’m still suffering and have to go back to the doctors this week because my skin reaction has got worse. It’s a nightmare to have to take so much time off work.”
There have been several reported cases of women dying from severe reactions to hair colouring in recent years, including Tabatha McCourt, 17, who died 20 minutes after dying her hair in 2011.
A spokeswoman for L’Oréal told the Times: “Allergic reactions to hair colourants are extremely rare.
“The allergy alert test must be completed before each colour application, even if you have previously used the same hair colourant or the colourant of any other brand. If you have ever experienced any reaction after colouring your hair or any reaction after temporary tattooing with black henna you should not proceed.”
To sign the petition log on to: http://bit.ly/1igsjrT