Stroke patient died at Northwick Park Hospital after nurse blunder, tribunal hears
- Credit: Archant
A nurse at Northwick Park Hospital contributed to a stroke patient’s death by injecting drugs rather than administering them nasally, a tribunal heard today
Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) were told Chumitrah Vijendra, was caring for the 84-year-old at the hospital in Watford Road, Sudbury, when she made the astonishing blunder.
The patient was awaiting a procedure to fit a feeding tube which bypasses the mouth and oesophagus, and had a number of health conditions including high blood pressure.
After intravenously administering the man’s prescribed vitamins Vijendra proceeded to give him medication to treat his high blood pressure – which should be crushed and fed through a nasogastric tube.
But Vijendra used another intravenous syringe to administer the crushed pills.
You may also want to watch:
The man became unresponsive and despite the arrival of a crash team he died at around 8.30am in February 2011.
Corinne Bramwell, for the NMC, said: “Having administered the vitamins intravenously as required to do so, it was also necessary for Patient A to be given oral drugs as prescribed.
- 1 Fury as Brent's planning committees approves 'another high-rise' hotel in Wembley
- 2 Brent MP order out of Commons after accusing Prime Minister of lying 'over and over again'
- 3 Petition against LTNs in Cricklewood exceeds 1,000 signatures
- 4 Brent gang members convicted of shooting a man in Enfield
- 5 Community vegetable patch in Kilburn under threat
- 6 Brent pupils raise £1,000 to support sickle cell sufferers
- 7 Brent motorists hit with 2,633 blue badge penalty notices in 2020
- 8 Wembley: Fan robbed of watch after Euro 2020 final
- 9 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 10 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
“Prior to administering these drugs the registrant discussed the process with the ward manager, in particular as the patient was nil by mouth due the PEG procedure he was due to be undertaking.”
But Vijendra used the wrong syringe and pumped the drugs into the man’s body rather than up his nose.
Vijendra, who had completed specific training for that procedure, was working on the hospital’s Herrick Ward on a 12-hour shift starting at 7.30am and finishing at 8.00pm.
She admits incorrectly administering the medication in an error which caused or contributed to the death of the patient.
The panel therefore found them proved by way of her admission and will now decide if her fitness to practise is impaired by reason of her misconduct.
The hearing continues.