Road-wary cyclists asked for suggestions on improving Brent’s pedal power
- Credit: Archant
Brent residents are being asked for their spin on plans to make the borough more cycle-friendly in a new consultation opening next week.
From June 17, thousands of residents are being encouraged to have their say on council plans to help commuters overcome their fear of cycling on central London roads.
Residents will have until July 12 to submit their views to Brent’s Cycle Strategy consultation on measures such as traffic calming measures and improved routes that would encourage them to take more journeys on two wheels between 2016-2021.
A series of surveys conducted by Brent council teams in November and December last year highlighted key aims of the strategy including designated Quietway routes to help less confident cyclists and raising awareness of the health and economic benefits of cycling.
The survey revealed that fears over safety were the biggest factor in preventing Brent residents from hopping on their bikes more often.
You may also want to watch:
According to data gathered by the Cycle Strategy, 13% of all deaths or serious injuries on London’s roads in 2013 involved cyclists.
The plans are also in line with Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s plan to achieve a 400% increase in levels of cycling by 2026.
You can add your view to the consultation online at bit.ly/1JHJEVi or via paper feedback forms available in local libraries and sports centres from June 17.
- 1 Two Brent gang members sentenced for £1.1m fraud involvement
- 2 Three men arrested and gun seized after Neasden car stop
- 3 Man shot multiple times in Dudden Hill remains in stable condition
- 4 Man rushed to hospital after shooting in Dudden Hill
- 5 Fresh appeal to find mum of newborn baby girl found in Grand Union Canal
- 6 Kingsbury teen appears in court charged with Brent Cross fatal stabbing
- 7 Three Brent Labour councillors apologised for wrongdoing in 2020
- 8 Person dies after being 'injured by a train' at Wembley station
- 9 Man arrested following shooting in Kingsbury
- 10 Wembley attacker draws large knife after being chased by victims