Review into A&E plans at Central Middlesex Hospital is ‘opportunity’ for campaigners
- Credit: Archant
An independent review into plans to close the accident and emergency at Central Middlesex Hospital is an “opportunity” for the public to voice their concerns, says a campaign group.
Brent Council leader Cllr Muhammed Butt announced on Monday that he will be addressing his doubts to the panel, set up to examine the proposals.
Campaigners are calling on the public to follow suit to keep up the fight to save the unit at the hospital in Acton Lane, Harlesden.
Sarah Cox of anti-cuts group Brent Fightback said: “It’s an opportunity. The original consultation was widely felt to be inadequate and it’s in the context of a national crisis in A&E services and ambulance services.”
Under wider plans for north-west London, called Shaping a Healthier Future (SAHF), the hospital would lose its casualty ward, becoming an urgent care centre.
You may also want to watch:
But after meeting with shadow secretary of state for health Andy Burnham at the hospital on Friday – which was the 65th anniversary of the National Health Service – Cllr Butt outlined his concerns in a letter to the MP.
He said: “Accident and emergency at Northwick Park Hospital [in Harrow] is unable to cope with current demand. How can I be sure it will cope in the future?”
- 1 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
- 2 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 3 Brent investigating implications of traffic measures court ruling
- 4 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 5 Brent residents face £100 council tax hike for Band D property
- 6 Wembley drug dealer jailed for biting, scratching and pushing police
- 7 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Fundraiser launched after beloved mum found collapsed in Barham Park dies
- 10 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
Mrs Cox welcomed his involvement, after campaigners previously questioned Brent Council’s level of support, saying: “It’s a step in the right direction.”
At Friday’s public meeting called by Unison’s Brent and Harrow health branch, at Bridge Park Community Leisure Centre in Brentfield, Stonebridge, Patrick Vernon, former senior NHS director, said the “clinical case for closure has not yet been made”.
Dr Mark Spencer, SHAF’s medical director, said: “Improvements to services in the community are a fundamental part of the proposals and we have always made clear that those improvements to services outside hospitals – such as GP facilities – will happen before the major changes to hospitals under this programme occur.”
The panel will report back to Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt by September.