Northwick Park nurse first to chair menopause society
- Credit: Archant
A medical professional from Northwick Park Hospital has become the first nurse to be named as chairwoman of the British Menopause Society (BMS).
Kathy Abernethy, senior nurse specialist at the hospital in Watford Road since 1993, will begin her two-year chairmanship in July at an annual conference held by the society which was formed more than 25 years ago.
The 55-year-old has worked in the field of menopause for more than 25 years and currently works in the multidisciplinary menopause service assessing, treating and monitoring women with complex menopause needs, including young women and those who have had cancer or other medical conditions.
She has also initiated a menopause education programme for nurses and regularly visits places of employment to discuss the impact of hormonal changes on women at work.
As chairwoman of BMS, Ms Abernethy will increase awareness about post reproductive health and promoting good clinical practice through educational meetings, publications and policy statements.
She said: “I look forward to the challenge that chairing a multidisciplinary society will bring and am sure that my expertise from working in the award-winning menopause service at Northwick Park Hospital will stand me in good stead
“During my career I have advised many women about menopause, ranging from 15 years old to over 80, while also educating health professionals in the need to offer women good information and evidence based treatment choices in line with NICE Guidance.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in north London
- 2 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 3 Baby among three rescued from Willesden flat fire
- 4 Cricklewood estate reports 'major vermin' problem
- 5 Trial date for men charged with fatal stabbing of Emmanuel Odunlami
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Extremely dangerous' men convicted after girl kidnapped and raped
- 8 'Strictest' headteacher to be documentary subject
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Amanda Pye, chief nurse at London North West Healthcare NHS Trust, said: “This appointment is testament to the commitment and dedication Kathy has shown in supporting and advising women about the menopause. We are incredibly fortunate to call Kathy one of our own and I wish her well in her new role.”