Northwick Park hospital to receive accolade for their breastfeeding scheme
- Credit: Archant
A hospital maternity unit is set to receive an UNICEF accreditation in recognition of their commitment to breastfeeding.
Northwick Park Hospital has been acknowledged by the international children’s charity for their hard work in educating mothers how to nurse their newborns.
Gloria Rowland, head of maternity at the hospital in Watford Road, Sudbury, said: “This is a wonderful achievement for the maternity unit. The accreditation will mean we are better able to empower women and babies as they start of their new lives.
“I would like to thank all the staff and women who helped us achieve this status for their hard work.”
According to the North West London Hospital Trust, that manages NPH, breastfeeding protects babies against a wide range of serious illnesses including respiratory infections in infancy as well as asthma, cardiovascular disease and diabetes in later life.
It is also linked to reducing the risk of development of some cancers, as well as being an easier, cheaper and less hassle than bottle feeding.
The baby friendly initiative, set up by UNICEF and the World Health Organisation, is a global programme, which provides a practical and effective way for health services to improve the care provided for all mothers and babies.
- 1 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 2 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 3 Brent tenant 'distressed' at housing waiting list change
- 4 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 5 London among areas where drought is declared
- 6 New Kilburn mural to highlight borough's cultural heritage
- 7 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 8 Unarmed boy stabbed to death in his home by group ‘out for blood’, court told
- 9 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
- 10 Man due in court over Wembley murder
The award will be presented to the team at the Early Infant Care Conference taking place at Brent Civic Centre on February 21.
For more information about the scheme visit www.babyfriendly.org.uk.