North West London Hospitals introduce pioneering procedure for hysterectomies
- Credit: Archant
Keyhole surgery can result in women going home in just 24 hours
Health chiefs have rolled out a pioneering procedure for hysterectomies that could see women going home the day after undergoing the operation.
The laparoscopic (keyhole) method of removing a woman’s womb has been introduced to The North West London Hospitals by Panos Sarhanis, a leading gynaecologist for women’s cancers.
He discovered the treatment while in Canada which can reduce the time in hospital from two weeks to just 24 hours.
He said: “The introduction of this new technique for this procedure means that women are less likely to suffer from infections and wound problems, as only a few small incisions are made.
“It also means that sometimes women can go home within 24 hours.”
Jane Marciano, from Harrow, had a keyhole hysterectomy after noticing some light bleeding, which turned out to be the first signs of cancer of the womb.
- 1 Three found guilty of murder for involvement in fatal gunfight
- 2 A Level results 2022: Brent schools as they come in
- 3 Brent triple shooting leaves victims in hospital
- 4 ‘A Windrush Lioness’: Tributes paid to Harlesden resident Lera Clarke
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 Man shot in his heart outside Queen's Park flats named
- 7 Pensioner dies and bus passengers injured in Wembley collision
- 8 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 9 'Predator' acted as masseur to assault women
- 10 Harlesden bar's licence suspended following fights and noise
She said: “I could not believe I was not in pain when I woke up in the recovery room.
“I was able to sit out in the chair rather than having to stay in bed. “I only stayed one night on the ward and the following afternoon I went home.
“I had expected to stay at least four or five nights.”
Laparoscopic hysterectomies are not just recommended for cancer as more gynaecologists are joining the team so the innovative procedure should become the operation of choice for many women who need a hysterectomy.
The North West London Hospitals manages Central Middlesex, Northwick Park and St Marks Hospitals.