Kingsbury mum’s childbirth terror inspires campaign for infection screening
- Credit: Archant
“Part of me didn’t think my fears were going to be realised. The midwives started to talk about numbers dropping – his oxygen intake – that’s when they called the doctor.”
When Anna Santos-Witkowska, 29, gave birth to her son Olly in June, all seemed well. But within hours Olly was in intensive care - he had developed pneumonia and sepsis, and had a collapsed lung.
This happened because he had contracted Group B Strep (GBS), an infection passed on by his mother during labour.
Olly, thankfully, made a full recovery - but mum Anna is acutely aware of how bad things could have been, and now she's desperate to raise awareness of GBS.
Anna, from Kingsbury, told the Kilburn Times: "I want to raise awareness of GBS as much as possible. I had no idea at all when it happened to us. It happens to so many families. We were very lucky: we came out and my son is fine. But so many people after either have a lifelong disability or even lose their baby.
You may also want to watch:
"For a good five weeks afterwards I was going through a kind of PTSD. I think it was just terrifying.
"I want to offer support for other families going through this who might need someone to talk to."
- 1 Kingsbury mandir to be 'Europe's first' vaccine centre in Hindu temple
- 2 Gang member jailed for 18 years after hiding guns and drugs in Cricklewood
- 3 Mum's 'desperate' fundraiser as 15 families face eviction in Stonebridge
- 4 Maida Vale woman launches petition after kitten bought online dies
- 5 Mass vaccination centre opens in Wembley Park
- 6 Police seek witnesses as Kenton crash victim named as Vimla Matai
- 7 Election candidate 'should be disqualified' for lockdown visit, say opposition
- 8 Neasden man charged with murder and knife attacks
- 9 Man arrested in connection with Neasden murder and two stabbings
- 10 Appeal after woman hit on the head and sexually assaulted in Sudbury
GBS bacteria are carried in the gut or vagina of many adults without problem, but can be transmitted to babies during labour - and according to national charity Group B Strep Support, it's the single most common life-threatening infection in newborns.
For Anna, husband Romek and Olly, what first seemed normal soon became terrfiying.
Anna added: "After four hours, I had him on me, I was trying to get him to feed. He was trying to cry but he couldn't cry. His face was pale."
Rapidly, the medical staff discovered Olly was gravely ill and rushed him to intensive care.
Anna said: "When I saw my baby, covered in tubes, inside his incubator, I was terrified."
Olly recovered, but others are not so lucky - in the UK GBS kills one baby a week and leaves another with a long-term disability.
Anna is calling for all expectant mums to be screened, as is normal in countries like the USA and France. She added: "I wouldn't wish what we went through on anyone."