Brother slams Park Royal health unit for discharging man who then jumped infront of a train in Neasden

Neasden Underground Station. Picture: Google

Neasden Underground Station. Picture: Google - Credit: Archant

The brother of a troubled man who jumped in front of a train in Neasden has slammed a mental health unit for discharging him with no warning.

Darrell Francis, 54, survived his suicide attempt at Neasden tube station on September 18 but lost a leg.

His big brother Keith Francis has slammed Park Royal Mental Health Unit who wrote to him saying his brother was being detained but no word was sent that he was being discharged two weeks later.

The 55-year-old, who lives in Aylands Close, Wembley, said: “If they had called me and said they were discharging him, I’d have said no, it’s too early, let him stay in there, and this wouldn’t have happened.

“Now, when I ask them why they didn’t notify me, they just fob me off. I want the truth, that’s all.”

In a letter sent to Mr Keith on September 7, seen by the Times, the Mental Health Law office say they are informing him as the “nearest relative” that his “relative was detained in hospital on 06/09/2018”.

They add that he “may be detained in hospital for an initial period of six months for treatment”.

Most Read

Darrell was discharged a week later and on September 18 stepped infront of an oncoming tube train.

He has since been released from Northwick Park Hospital and is living in a hostel.

Keith said he cared for his brother for more than 25 years, and had appealed to Brent North MP Barry Gardiner.

He added: “When Darrell woke up in hospital and realised he’d lost his leg he said ‘I’ve had enough of life’.

“That really hurts me, that’s my brother. I keep thinking why it’s come to this and he was bullied a lot when he was young. He’s been bullied most of his life.

“I’m confused with what’s going on now, a lot is going through my mind, It’s a tough thing for both of us to be going through.

“I want to know what happened.”

A spokesperson for the Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust said: “There is an investigation underway and we can understand why Mr Keith Francis is upset and angry.

“Our investigator will talk to him but we must allow them to reach their conclusions before we comment further.”