Health chief in charge of Central Middlesex Hospital’s A&E closure to leave post

David McVittie is leaving his post

David McVittie is leaving his post - Credit: Archant

The health chief in charge of Northwick Park and Central Middlesex Hospitals has announced he is stepping down.

David McVittie, chief executive of The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust and Ealing Hospital NHS Trust, will leave his post in March next year.

He has overseen the controversial Shaping a Healthier Future programme which resulted in the closure of Central Middlesex Hospital’s casualty department last week.

In July, he admitted the A&E closure could create problems for Northwick Park Hospital but pledged that a £21million cash injection into its casualty unit, which includes 68 extra beds, will allow them to cope with the extra pressure.

Last month, NPH was told its casualty department requires improvement following an inspection by Prof Sir Mike Richards, of the Care Quality Commission (CQC).


You may also want to watch:


Mr McVittie, who also manages St Mark’s Hospital, joined the trust in March 2012 before becoming the chief executive for Ealing Hospital NHS Trust in January 2013.

A £30m merger of the two trusts will take place on October 1.

Most Read

He said: “It has been a real honour to lead the organisations through this significant period of change, I have been continually impressed with the mature way both organisations have approached these changes and am proud to have played a part.

“I wish the organisation continued success and will be watching from afar with interest.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter