Get fit and healthy for free in Brent
- Credit: Archant
Brent residents can get fit and healthy for free thanks to the installation of six outdoor gyms across the borough.
The equipment which includes a chest press, rower and pull down machines were installed by Brent Council as part of a project costing more than £180,000.
The council are also throwing in free weekly instructor-led training sessions to help residents get the most of the equipment.
To mark the completion of the gym building programme, Cllr Muhammed Butt, leader of Brent Council, joined in with a training session at the King Edward VII Park gym in Park Lane, Wembley.
He said: “Most residents will now be within walking distance of one of our outdoor gyms which are a great way to keep fit without paying high gym fees.
“Combining a green gym session with some of the other cardio-vascular exercise available in our parks, such as tennis, or our organised jogs and walks, will be a really good all-round work out.
“Residents’ health and wellbeing is one of my top priorities as Leader and I believe the best way for Brent to become a healthy borough is to widen access to sport and exercise activities.
- 1 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 2 Teenager killed in Stonebridge after collision with a car
- 3 Brent headteacher fears pupils could bring in knives without uniform policy
- 4 Brent tower block plans may fall foul of planning law
- 5 New college planned to bring post-school education in Wembley
- 6 'Lucky escape': Four flee Wembley house fire where smoke alarms weren't working
- 7 Have your say on proposed changes to constituencies in Brent
- 8 Brent cycling group calls to improve rather than remove LTNs
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 10 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
“There are now more opportunities than ever to be active in Brent parks, which are all free for residents to use and enjoy.”
Residents who enjoy a faster pace can enjoy the use of tennis courts, multi-use games areas and sports pitches on offer in parks across the borough.
There are also regular organised Healthy Walks and Jog programmes, led by a qualified leader in eight parks every week and the weekly Gladstone parkrun takes place in Gladstone Park near the Kendal Road entrance every Saturday at 9am.
All running programmes are suitable for all abilities and free.
For more information call 020 8937 3707, visit www.brent.gov.uk/sports or email email@example.com.