Event held to support vulnerable elderly residents in Brent
- Credit: Archant
A housing group hosted an event aimed at providing support to vulnerable elderly residents during the winter period.
The event by Brent Housing Partnership (BHP), sponsored by Age UK, featured a series of talks and surgeries to support older people on topics such as welfare benefits, nutrition, keeping warm in winter, advice with rent arrears and fuel bills.
Attendees also able to enjoy an action packed and informal evening, which boasted free hot meals, live entertainment, a free raffle and a game of bingo with prizes which were kindly been donated by local businesses in the borough.
All older residents were given a free hamper containing items such as a warm blanket, thermos cup, thick socks, gloves, hats, cereal, coffee, tea and tins of food to help get them through the cold season.
Barbara Rowe, BHP’s head of neighbourhood services, said: “Older residents are often the most vulnerable in society, and they are especially at risk during the winter period.
“We wanted this event to address key issues for our older residents such as financial concerns, fuel poverty, health problems, anti social behaviour and isolation.
“Our long-term goal is to identify support that residents may need and to put them into contact with key services.”
- 1 Wembley man, 18, used schoolboy to sell drug-infused sweets
- 2 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 3 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 4 Battle lines drawn as school’s 3G pitch decision heads to meeting
- 5 Police officers barred for 'shameful' misconduct over murdered sisters
- 6 Met Police arrest more than 900 in London-wide knife crime op
- 7 Brent woman jailed for 'horrific' acid attack
- 8 Covid-19: How Brent's current cases compare to November 2020
- 9 ULEZ anomaly at Wembley Ikea meaning no £12.50-a-day emission fee
- 10 Handcuffing: What is the Met's new policy and why has it been introduced?
The event took place on the South Kilburn Estate alongside a several residents associations.