Diabetes roadshow on its way to Kilburn
- Credit: Archant
A diabetes roadshow is on its way to Kilburn in a campaign to help people improve their health.
The Know Your Risk Roadshow, delivered by Diabetes UK, will be stationed outside the Clarks shoe shop on Kilburn High Road, on October 25 and 26.
Residents are encouraged to find out their risk of diabetes, free of charge, by answering some simple questions and having their height, weight and waist measured.
They will be given advice on how to reduce their risk and people at moderate or high risk can be referred to their GP surgery for further advice and tests.
A dietitian is also on hand to offer advice about how to achieve a healthy balanced diet, and there is an activity area with footballs and hula hoops to encourage locals to get active.
You may also want to watch:
The charity says a key step in addressing the increase of Type 2 diabetes is identifying people who are at risk of developing the condition.
Four out of five cases of Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed through maintaining a healthy weight through eating a healthy diet and taking regular exercise.
- 1 Brent Council worker Vithun Illankovan on his time in The Circle
- 2 Drekwon Patterson killing: Five men arrested in dawn raids
- 3 Homeless in Brent, Covid and Ramadan support
- 4 Brent mother of murdered schoolboy Quamari urges public to report knife crime
- 5 Lessons from the Covid pandemic: we need a revolution!
- 6 Six years ago today, it was knocked down - next week the Carlton reopens
- 7 QPR boss Warburton praises hard-working Dykes
- 8 Wembley Stadium wins approval to hold more events
- 9 Brent Council to issue water bill refunds to council tenants
- 10 Brent arts organisations awarded over £1m in Covid recovery funding
Roz Rosenblatt, London head for Diabetes UK, said: “At present too many people are walking around unaware they have Type 2 diabetes as they have not been diagnosed. This is not only a serious health condition but can also lead to potential devastating complications such as blindness, amputation and stroke.”
Find out your risk of Type 2 diabetes online at diabetes.org.uk/knowyourrisk.
The roadshow is delivered in partnership with Tesco and Royal Mail.