Coronavirus: Vale Farm Sports Centre staff urge public to sign petition to reopen gyms
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre in Sudbury is backing a petition to keep gyms open and pushing to be recognised as an ‘essential service’ amid month-long closures due to the second lockdown.
Vale Farm Sports Centre, in Watford Road, was forced to close for a prolonged period starting in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Now they have been forced to close again until December 2.
Everyone Active’s managing director, David Bibby, has raised concerns about the tougher effect on the public this time round, with shorter hours of sunlight and colder weather affecting mental health and the motivation for people to exercise outdoors.
Following the reopening of leisure centres in July, the centre implemented strict operational measures to ensure the utmost safety across gym, swimming, group exercise and activities to protect both customers and colleagues.
You may also want to watch:
This included online booking systems to manage capacity and rigorous cleaning regimes, which it believes contributes to the low transmission rate reported across UK gyms.
Chris Williams, contract manager, said he “can’t wait to reopen”.
- 1 Harlesden couple launch mobile musical funerals during Covid
- 2 Reward offered after drone stolen in Wembley
- 3 Vaccine bus launched in Brent to increase take up
- 4 QPR move into top 10 with win at Middlesbrough despite Dieng dismissal
- 5 Warburton: Dieng played on with broken nose before red card
- 6 Wealdstone thrashed by league leaders Hartlepool United
- 7 Social enterprise boutique gym opening in Queen's Park on May 17
- 8 Olympic Steps to Wembley Stadium unveiled
- 9 Female-only massage clinic opens in Harlesden
- 10 Mixed feelings for residents and workers as crowds return to Wembley
“This is an incredibly difficult time for the leisure industry and Vale Farm Sports Centre.
“We are urging our members to get behind us and to support their local centre by signing the petition to encourage the government to keep gyms open.”